Chapter 36

Clovis was in and out of sleep for almost three weeks. In that time we had planned. The council and I agreed, that we would not sit around on the defence any longer. Spring was going to attack again and that was obvious after what Clovis told us. They were so desperate to get rid of me that they were willing to destroy themselves. It made me think if everyone there agreed on the Spring King's obsession over me.

One thing about the plan was that I was going to finally meet him. With Alagan by my side of course. He would be the secret weapon they didn't know about, because no one knew about him. Not even my father.

At the thought of him I couldn't help but feel some pinch in my heart. I knew he was going to throw a royal tantrum once he finds out about Alagan, threatened him even. But, maybe after a few hundred years he'd get over this. Once he realized that he has no other season to align himself with, and that his people are my people as well, then he'd calm down. Especially once he see's I don't want to take over the world.

But, what would he think about the twins having powers? Would he find it some how suspsious that they got their powers late? And even worse, what would he think if Palma or Alagan come to their powers after years of nothing? And if Ray really could harness the power of the land to give him immortality, what then?

Yeah, being by Clovis' bed side these past few days really gave me plenty of time to think, yet I couldn't just leave. He would wake up any second now and I needed to look like the conserded ice queen who was there to be his friend. I was even braiding Ivory's long blonde hair, humming her a soft melody that used to put her to sleep as a crying baby.

A few mintues later I pretended to be to deep in thought to notice Clovis flutter his eyes open, it wasn't hard though to get lost in my mind at a time like this. Still, I kept braiding a crown around my daughters head as her eyes stayed closed to take deep breaths in and out, her fire training from me.

From the side I could see Clovis confused by his surroundings, but even more by me. He stilled when he saw I was in the chair next to his bed side and pretended to go back to sleep. I tried to hide the smirk on my face, since I would have done the same if I was in his position.

"Mommy?" Ivory said.

"Yes?"

"Are you almost done?"

This time I let my smile show. "Oh, I'm sorry my child, do you have somewhere important to be?"

Ivory made to nod her head, but realized she couldn't with my fingers still gripped into it. "Yes. Dax and I want to play with the puppies."

"You know those puppies are still to young to hold, they need to be with their mommy right now."

"Oh. Can we still play with Jackson and Rupert?"

"If you ask your dad, and Mrs. White for permission, then yes. And you can go now because your hair is finished."

Ivory jumped up and lightly tapped her fingers over the braids. She smiled and gave me millions of kisses along my cheeks, she called them bird kisses for some reason. "Thank you mommy!" And then she was out of the room, leaving the door ajar.

Clovis still pretended to be asleep. I stood as soon as I could no longer hear Ivory's footsteps. I kept my footing light as I walked to Clovis and watched him as he pretended to sleep. He at least knew to keep his breathing heavy and his body relaxed. Even when I touched his forehead did he keep still. With a warm hand I moved to his cheeks and checked as a mother would have to her sick children. I even let out a sad sigh to make it seem as if I was disappointed he hasn't woken up yet.