Crackling fire

Its been two or so weeks since I had my body art done , and today is the day Ronan returns .

To say I'm not nervous is a complete fib , my palms are severely sweaty and my entire body is trembling , I'm eager to see him yet dreading it because I know as much as I yearn for his touch , I will never feel his lips against mine . I still have to see him though , there is a big celebration being held for his return .

Right now , I am totally stuck . I have never had to choose what to wear , always having a uniform . even before I came on the Dark Aster , all I owned was a simple , thin shirt and trousers .

I'm deciding between that  pair of black pants , or that  pair of black pants . I groan and restrain from ripping my hair out in frustration . I hear a muffled laugh behind me and whip my hear around  growling, ready to find out what's so amusing . 

A little girl stands before me , she couldn't be more then 1 tops , and she is sporting the maids uniform . her skin is nice caramel colour and her eyes big and blue . She has a sweet smile plastered on her face and I soften slightly .

'' Whats so funny ?'' I ask , raising my eyebrow . she just giggles again and walks forward into my room . I frown , but don't move .

'' well miss , Lord Ronan has requested this be a dress up occasion . I am here to help you get ready !'' she chirps proudly and grins again .

woah woah woah , hold up . Dress up ? . I shudder and take a step back , narrowing my eyes .

'' no , I'm not wearing  a dress .'' I inform , sticking my head up defiantly . she laughs again , and I feel the sides of my lips tugging up . damn this soft spot for kids . she could be an assassin for all I know . I doubt it , she is so small I'm sure a bunny could over power her .

'' Lord Ronan thought you might say that , so he ordered a special  kind of dress .'' she steps forward and my stomach flips at the mention of Ronan and a special dress . I smile to myself .

I nod and sigh , not wanting to seem rude and decline his offer . I scoff to myself , yeah right as if I've ever cared about being rude .

She squeals and drags me from my room by the arm roughly . I cant help but smile and chuckle a little this time . she takes me to a room a few minutes away and pushes me in . Its a simple one much like mine except a large vanity is set up on one side .

I had just showered so my hair was still slightly wet , so she started on my face first . while she waltzed off somewhere to grab somethings , I finally gathered the courage to look in the  mirror .

The fat , pink scar running down practically the entire length of my left side , now had neighbours . there was a thin , purple line across my jaw and another thick , pink scar curling from my ear to my neck .I was never beautiful , I wasn't ugly , but I wasn't beautiful either . But still , it embarrassed me to see my face like this . these would never go away . I would forever live with these  battle scars . Most of the time , people were just to polite to mention it , others just stared until I screamed at them . I leaned closer , running my finger against the lengh of each of them in turn . Now that I am closer , I can see the tiny scars that criss cross almost my entire face . I could see the brow freckles scattered across my face . they were invisible from afar . up close , my left eye was gnarled and ugly on the side , though almost unnoticeable unless I was looking to the side . lip was split in many places and scared . I sigh and lean back .

I will always look like this . My heart lurches and I push the tears threating to spill . I don't know why I even care , I never cared much before .I push my thoughts away and smile at ... actually I don't know her name yet , who has returned , sporting weird brushes and stick thingys like battle weapons . I widen my eyes and gulp , causing her to giggle .

'' Whats your name ? '' I question her , as she sets her things up .

'' Lilac '' she states simply , sitting in front of me on the dresser , her small legs dangling . she blocks my reflection and I'm forever grateful .

She proceeds to put some type of liquid on my face, but then hesitates . My heart squeezes in my chest and I look down .

'' I think there beautiful .'' she whisper's softly , and I bring my gaze up to hers . she doesn't look frightened nor disgusted . she looks proud and excited . I don't say anything , just smile and place a hand on her shoulder .

'' are they battle scars ? your so brave .'' she breathes and I chuckle , but nod and move my hand off her frame to bring it to my face . I decide then I am proud of my battle scars , I should be , shouldn't I ?

'' If you don't mind , lilac , I would rather not cover them tonight . I'm proud of my battle scars .'' I decide , and she just nods and smiles again .

She begins with my hair , brushing out the knots and leaving it straight . I sit and stare at my reflection in the mirror as she works behind me .

I am proud .

20 minutes LATER

By now , there is a thin line of black pencil is drawn under underneath my eyes and my chapped lips are slightly glossed . I'm at bit nervous about the dress , I hope its not pink and frilly . I cringe at the imagine of me wearing a puffy ball gown invades my mind .

Finally , I cant take it anymore . I rip off the thin sheet of paper covering it and almost gasp . I smile to myself , a huge smile that I'm sure no one has seen for a while now . My stomach feels giddy but my heart feels warm . he picked something I would actually Like .

I put it on and turn to face a squealing lilac . I walk over to the mirro and almost don't recognise the girl before me .

I have never worn a dress , ever , well at least from what I remember . The dress is a tight black , longsleev plain one . the material is clinging to my skin tightly but I like it . it falls to just above my knee , but fails to cover the scar running from my bullet wound down to midway down my calf , which I received from surgery when the bullet poisoned me .

I am proud .

I smile to myself and do a small twirl , feeling good about myself . The tattoos on the backs of my calves are prominent and I smile wider . Lilac hands me a pair of low-buckled boots and I'm so relieved they are not heels . I put them on and take a deep breath , turning to face lilac who is preparing hurridley . Finally , she is finished and takes a second look at me .

'' Wow , you really are beautiful '' she gushes , her eyes widening . I chuckle and twirl a strand of her short black hair around my finger . She shrieks and pulls back , matting it back into place . I laugh much louder now and she glares .

'' You look beautiful too lilac .'' I say ,smiling at her .

She truly does though , her short hair is straight and her dress is a nice , simple blue one . Her features are so soft and doll she looks almost angelic .

she beams up at me and I cant help but beam back .

'' come on .'' I wink and poke her , earning  a giggle .

we exit the room and walk down the hall , earning glances and nods from some of my soldiers . I nod politely and exchange quick hello's . As we near a dining hall that is being used as the venue , my palms grow sweaty again .

what if he doesn't like the dress on me ?

what if he doesn't like my hair ?

my tattoos ?

what if- oh shut up .

I scold my thoughts and they retreat . by now , weve reached the door and I can hear the faint chatter and music playing . I take a deep breath and push the door open , and the sight that greets me takes the breath from my body .