Alone

"I can't believe she made it out alive."

"Kat's a fighter, from my examination of the guy he had lacerations all over his body."

"Hey I think she's waking up."

"Katherine, are you awake?" I heard Harvey's voice calling.

"No I'm just opening my eyes."

"You know maybe this is why I don't like you." I looked up to see Jim, Harvey, and Eddie standing above me.

"What are you guys all doing here? Shouldn't you be working or something?"

"See, told you she was going to be fine." I heard Jim laugh and I saw Harvey roll his eyes.

I tried to sit up but pain jolted through my spine.

"You might not want to sit up for a little Kat, you have some spinal injuries." Eddie placed his hand on my arm pushing it down.

"How long have I been out?"

"About three days, Eddie here has been taking care of you day and night." I looked over to Eddie who was nervously scratching the back of his neck, I swear I saw a slight blush creep over his face.

"Thanks Ed." I smiled up at him.

"So, what happened after I passed out?"

"Barton Mathis or as you know him The Dollmaker was taken into custody by force of course after he decided it was a good idea to try to kill us. We had to knock him out and now his prison sentence awaits him."

"Was he at Arkham before this?"

"Yeah, somehow he escaped without any of the faculty staff knowing....anyways you're safe now Kat. All you need to worry about is getting rest okay?" 

"Well, we're glad to see you back Katherine, but Harvey and I here have to go. You get better now." Jim patted my hand and Harvey gave me a wink leaving Ed and I alone.

I looked up back up to Eddie, he was looking at my medical file and checking things off.

"When can I get back to work?" He stopped what he was doing and looked at me.

"You're kidding me right? You need to rest physically and mentally for about two to three weeks and then we will see how you have progressed."

"What?! I have to stay here for two to three weeks?! You have to give me something to do!"

"Well, I plan to visit you everyday and figured I could bring some cases up to you if Chief Essen approves..."

"I guess that sounds okay." I couldn't believe I would be stuck here laying in bed alone.

"I will stay here and rest under one condition...." Eddie raised his eyebrows and gave me a quizzical look.

"Which is?"

"You have to eat lunch with me..."

He laughed

"That sounds like a deal to me."

He looked down at his watch and gave me an apologetic smile.

"Well I have to go back to work, I will be back though for lunch. Get some rest."

"Ugh...I guess I will." I heard him laugh as he left the room.

I saw a remote beside me on a nightstand and grabbed it, not like there is anything else I can do.  I clicked the tv on and flipped it to Gotham news.

"We do not know the exact whereabouts of the so called maniax, but the police are on the lookout. If you see any suspicious activity please call the GCPD immediately."

The screen changed to six men laying on the ground presumably dead, each in straight jackets.  Red spray paint covered the back of each man spelling out a word that sent a chill up my spine:

'MANIAX!'

________________________________________________________________________

*Edwards POV*

I finally felt at peace knowing Katherine was safe and that she would soon be coming back to work. The voice in the back of my head still kept telling me that it was my fault that Katherine got hurt. It had been getting louder and more visual now.

'Things would be a lot easier if you ditched that bimbo, I mean come on you had to kill her boyfriend to get to her....Katherine on the other hand she's right in front of you. She wants to be with you!'

I ignored him, and began going through my daily paperwork. I could see him out of the corner of my eye he was staring at me with that smug look on his face.

'Riddler'

"Ed?" I looked up to see Kristen standing halfway in the doorway looking over at me.

"Hello Kristen, how are you?"

'Ooo that greeting was a little chilly Eddie boy don't you think?'

I took off my glasses and rubbed my temple trying to draw the voice out.

"Oh I'm sorry where you working on something?" She asked sadly.

"Nope I was just getting some paperwork done. What can I help you with Kristen?"

"Well I was wondering if you stopped by and visited Kat?"

"Yes.....I actually just came back from the hospital."

"How is she?!"

"She's broken up a bit, but she's on the road to recovery....she actually wanted to come into work today!"

"Sounds like Kat." She laughed easing the tension in the room.

"Well I was just wondering if you stopped to see her, I might go to the hospital and visit her on my break.... are we still having dinner at your place tonight?" she asked with eagerness.

"Yeah, I'm making pasta."

"Sounds wonderful Edward!" she walked over to me and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"See ya tonight!"

"Yup, see you tonight...."

I watched as Kristen left the room still thinking of Katherine and how wonderful it was to see her beautiful face again....I almost missed it already.

'Soon Eddie......soon'