Chapter 9. A Small Copper Circle

Chapter 9.

I woke up the next morning and stretched my arms above my head before I cracked my eyes open. For a second I for get where I was before I remembered I was in New York with Edi.

It was 8:30 so I got up and did a couple minutes of stretching to loosen up. I changed out of my pyjamas and into a loose shirt and pair of Lulu Lemon pants. I threw my hair up in a ponytail and headed to the washroom to wash my face.

A couple minutes later I headed to the kitchen and smiled when I saw Mr. and Mrs. Mendez bickering back and forth while cooking breakfast. They were both wearing jeans and white aprons.

"Good morning! Do you need any help making breakfast?" I said still smiling.

"Good morning Christine. You could cut up the strawberries if you want." Mrs. Mendez suggested.

I did as she asked and proceeded to cut the strawberries like a boss.

"Did you and Enrique enjoy the ballet last night?" Mr. Mendez asked.

"Yes, it was absolutely incredible! I still can't believe you let me come with you guys to New York!"

"You are like family to us Christine and to be honest, you are so much better than the last couple girls Enrique has taken out. We just want you to know that we approve of you." Mr. Mendez smiled at the end and I was so shocked at the random compliment that I chopped the next strawberry without thinking.

I bit my lip to stay silent as sliced my finger. I quickly wrapped my hand around the cut and squeezed hard to stop the bleeding. I grabbed a piece of paper towel subtly and wrapped it around the cut. With a cloth I wiped the knife and the little drop of blood off the cutting board. I felt the burning sensation in my finger slow down and I knew my cut was almost sealed. I tossed the paper towel in the garbage and returned to cutting strawberries like nothing had happened.

A minute later Edi and Virginia entered the kitchen. He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist hugging me from behind.

"Good morning." He said kissing me on the cheek. I smiled as his body heat warmed up my back and made me feel all cozy.

"You are really hot." I said without thinking.

"I think so too." The smuggest grin ever crossed his features.

"Shut up, not like that."I elbowed him in the ribs. "You are really warm is what I meant to say."

"Pfft, I'm sexy and we both know it."

I ignored him and approached his dad, "Has he taken his crazy pills today?" I whispered loudly.

By now everyone in the kitchen was laughing quietly at our little banter.

"Just because I'm off my meds doesn't make me wrong!" Edi said trying to defend himself.

"No, it makes you delusional." I countered.

His mom rested a hand on his shoulder. "I think you better give up, it seems Christine has outwitted you." She smiled at me.

"You will pay for this." Edi vowed dramatically.

"In your dreams." I retorted.

We all laughed and I finished cutting the strawberries and set the bowl on the table. I checked over my shoulder when no one was looking I popped a piece in my mouth.

Suddenly, I felt Edi behind me and he whispered in my ear. "You bet it will be in my dreams." He breathed. I choked on my strawberry and gasped for air while Edi walked off laughing victoriously.