Chapter III. Spill

Chapter III.

I signed papers and negotiated pay with Clara for an hour or two before we called it a day. I drove home and ate supper by myself.

I returned to my closet and started looking for the perfect thing to wear for my first outing as a real actress.

After trying on many things, I found a bright red dress that made me look amazing. It showed off my long, tan legs and all my curves. I had no doubt that I would turn a couple of heads this evening.

I styled my hair into light curls and let them fall gently onto my shoulders. I put on the finishing touches before I checked the time. I had ten minutes to spare before Jeremy should arrive so I spent the time filling out my character with details of my past.

At eight o'clock I took the elevator down and entered the lobby. I reached the doors just as a shiny, black Mercedes stopped outside the doors. Jeremy stepped out in a crisp blue shirt and an expensive looking sport coat. He did a double take as I approached him.

"H-hello Serena." He said running his eyes up and down me.

"Hey Jeremy." I said taking his hand as he helped me into the car. I tacked on a quiet thank you as he closed the door.

He quickly got in on the other side and pulled into traffic. "You look stunning tonight." He quickly glanced at me again.

"Thank you, but just to be clear, this is not a date." I said watching his face for any signs of disappointment.

When I saw only surprise I relaxed. "Why would you think this was a date?" He asked.

"Because you asked me to go for drinks and you drove a car worth more than all my previous pay checks combined." I stated.

"Then how can you afford to live in that building?" He asked.

"I have a friend helping me."

"What kind of friend?"

"A family friend, he's practically my cousin."

"So your family is really rich."

"Yes, but my point was that I don't want to date anyone right now." I said thinking of the one exception to the rule.

"You're lying, there is always an exception to the rule." He called me out.

"You're right, but bad things would happen if I saw my exception right now."

"That sounds complicated." He commented.

"More than you'll ever know." I whispered to the window. We talked a bit more before he pulled up outside a modern looking club. I waited for him to help me out of the car but after a moment, I realized that wasn't going to happen.

"Jerk." I muttered as I got out thinking of Edi's impeccable manners.

We strode into the club as Jeremy gave each of the bouncers a nod of recognition. We grabbed drinks sat down with Ted, Clara and others from the studio. We made small talk as we drank as I felt my elite abilities dissolve with the alcohol I decided to switch to pop. When we finished we made our way to the dance floor, so I closed my eyes and lost myself in the pounding bass of the rhythmic songs. I danced with Jeremy and every now and then I would slip up and think I was dancing with Edi, but then Jeremy would make a move that was totally unlike him and the illusion would shatter.

Finally when he saw I wasn't going to be the one to call it quits he pulled me off the dance floor and we ended up in a small booth in the corner.

We talked for a bit before he started asking trickier questions. "So, do you have any siblings?"

"Well, I was put into foster care when I was twelve, and things went sour a little while ago, so I ran away and now, I'm alone." I figured that was as close to the truth as possible.