Chapter 10. The Gala

Chapter 10.

Enrique Mendez' POV.

My father, Luis and I waiting in the sitting room for the girls to finish getting ready. I was getting antsy when I heard the sharp clicking of high heels on a hard floor. We stood and watched in anticipation as the three girls rounded the corner and approached us. My mother was wearing a lovely dark green dress that gently brushed the floor as she walked. Virginia was wearing a burning orange dress that was short in the front but longer in the back.

But Christine was the only one that I focused on, she looked older, no longer sixteen but rather like an adult. She was wearing a dress the colour of a cloud and when she moved the dress floated around her. The pale grey fabric hugged her delicate frame in all the right places before spreading out in small ruffles starting at her knees.

She stopped in front of me and I noticed her eyes were shining with excitement and the little white ring around her pupil had widened a bit and become more noticeable.

"What do you think?" She asked when I failed to form a coherent compliment.

"I think that out of every girl on this planet, you are the most beautiful of them all, and then you put on that dress and did your hair and now I can't even compare you to them for there is absolutely no competition." I let the words flow out of my mouth and when I finished I kissed her cheek and let our fingers intertwine. My stomach did a nervous flutter and I couldn't help but smile because even though we had been dating for what seemed like forever yet not long enough, she could still make my heart pound because of the way that our hands moulded together like the most natural thing in the universe.

I helped her into the car and in the brief moment out eyes met I knew that if spent forever with her, it wouldn't be long enough.

Christine Sterling's POV.

As the gala continued on through the evening, Edi and I spent our time mingling with all the rich and powerful aristocrats of the eastern United States. In between conversation we also danced to the live music that was playing.

I made polite comments about those we talked to and behaved in the most graceful and charming of ways. As I met Mr. Mendez' gaze a few time during the night I could see he was pleased with my behaviour. I was gaining his approval slowly but surely and I knew that when the time came, he would gratefully accept me into his family.

After a few dances in a row, I sat down at a table and waited for Edi to bring me a drink.

"Is this seat taken?" A young man asked while sitting down next to me. He had white blonde hair and large brown eyes.

"No, it's no-" I didn't finish my sentence because I saw his eyes. They were brown eyes with a slim white line around the pupil. "It's not taken." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You have lovely eyes. I heard that the white line around your pupil is only found in a species called eligere." He said placing a finger on my chin and lifting my face to examine me closer.

"What else have you heard about the eligere?" I asked still cautious.

"Well, you know, this and that." He looked at the table and telekinetically lifted a strawberry from the fruit arrangement on the table.

"Did you know my grandparents names were Jon and Kayla?"

"My name is Henri. I am a friend of theirs. I have a message for Julia Kirk. This may seem a bit awkward, but it is very important." He gave me a strong look trying to get me to see the seriousness of what he was going to say next.

"Us Elite, are special, we have one specific person that we are intended to be with. It is written into our DNA and we can only have offspring with the person we are designed for. But there is another part to it. We become telepathically linked with the person we join with. But we also become linked with any person we join with.