Chapter 5: Arrival on Byzantium

Delphias watched as the shuttle bearing the Inquisitorial seal slowly landed on the platform. A boarding ramp to the rear dropped down, revealing a young-looking woman heavy armor. By her side was a taller man with the look of a guard veteran, as well as two hulking inquisitorial crusaders. The Arbitrator mentally lowered his opinion of her martial prowress. With that much hired help she couldn't be that great in a fight. Delphias strode towards the pair as the walked down the ramp. 

"Welcome to Byzantium, Inquisitor." He reached out to shake her hand. His hand was trembling. "Things are not going well. I think we have big problems. Warp problems."

Malachi Zakur held out the cloak with Simone's psychic hood. The hexagramic wards shimmered and made the nondescript fabric shine. The Inquisitor took it and settled it around her shoulders. After the strange dream and the felling of foreboding it had left in her, she welcomed the comforting weight of the warded fabric. 

She was wearing her full armor for the meet on Byzantium. Malachi had insisted and, frankly, though Simone preferred to dress simply, she hadn't argued this time. Her armor was light, almost just flex armor, in a dull bronze color. Runes and filigree were etched on in a deep cobalt blue. Her psychic hood completed her outfit as she wore no helmet. Sander and Lukas, her Inquisitional Stormtroopers met her and Malachi as they exited the ship. 

"Warp?" she said the frown returning, wrinkling her forehead. She couldn't help but think of her dream and she shuddered. Malachi saw and moved a little closer to her. She shook her head and focused on Fedarsi. "Why do you say warp? What has happened here?"

Delphias laughed, but it was forced. "I think that's what you're here to find out. I don't pretend to understand your kind. I just know that something here is very, very wrong, and it is beyond my ability to handle." He looked the woman in the eyes. "I have reason to believe that there is an active cult on Byzantium that is manipulating the warp. In my experience, that means chaos."

Simone bristled a bit at his comment on 'her kind'. But reminded herself that a little righteous fear was a good thing. She nodded crisply, "Fine then, it is a good thing you have requested our help." she motioned for her soldiers to follow her, "I assume you have made arrangements for work space I require?" She moved out forcing Fedarsi to keep up. "Have you any suspects or likely parties?"

Fedarsi almost gagged. He looked thoughtfully at the matte-black repressor tank parked behind them. He gestured at it.

"There, M'lady, is your office, transport, and vox-center. It'll hold your retinue and me and Gorson, and has a military vox-caster in the forward compartment." The Inquisitor looked less than pleased. Delphias smiled. "Now, Inquisitor, the Mk.VII Repressor makes a fine command vehicle. I myself have overseen several investigations and prosecutions from the turret of this very tank. As for suspects... suffice to say that we have not made much headway." He would give her the prisoners later, but for all he knew they could just be gangers.

Simone was rather unimpressed as she surveyed the tank. She sighed, the Emperor tested and tried those he loves, she reminded herself. "This will do," She turned and gave Fedarsi an arch look, "for now." She walked briskly towards their transportation. "Now, I will require all you records on any rogue psykers you may have encountered in say ...the last three years. Especially any who are still at large." She ticked the points off on her fingers. "Also I will need a Sage, I will leave that selection to you." She said as if it were a privilege she were granting. She stopped short and looked Fedarsi square in the eye, "This will be resolved Interrogator Fedarsi. You have my word on that."

Delphias nodded. Inwardly, he wasn't suprised by the inquisitor's attitude. It was exactly what he was expecting and she didn't disappoint. He turned to Gorson. "I'm sure my second-in-command can find you a sage. Somewhere. In the meantime, I believe we have several psyker files at District command. If you'll come this way," He gestured back at the repressor. "we can get started." As he started towards the repressor, he stopped for a moment and turned to face Godschilde. "I would ask, Inquisitor, that you stay near your guards or my men. Accidents can happen...even to the best of us." Without another word he turned and got in the driver's compartment of the tank. Gorson followed close behind, and after the Inquisitor and retinue climbed aboard, they sped off into the evening light.