Chapter 21: The Inquisitors Meet

Simone gripped the bar next to her seat as the transport lurched to a halt in front of the Pompeii estate. She snapped her head gear on and brought up the bolter as the doors swung open. The Grey Knights and her own lone Stormtrooper and Malachi swarmed out ahead of her. Only after they were sure that the area was secure did Malachi motion for her to dismount the transport. 

The Judge she had almost literally run into as they had hurried from the Cathedral was already standing in the estates courtyard with his troops as well. She was deeply grateful he had thrown his troops in with them. If what the Bishop had said was true they would be needed. Even the assassin, Hema had showed back up as they had left the Cathedral. Simone had waved an acknowledgement to the woman as she mounted the steps into the transport. She needed to speak with her but later once they had found out what was going on at the Pompeii estate. She was sure that she and the assassin had information that they both needed. They moved into the estate proper.

The heavy ornate doors to the mansion had been blown completely off their hinges and scorch marks riddled the walls. Marks of Flame pistols and the purifying fire that the Sororitas used perhaps she thought.

As they all moved forward deeper into the mansion, Simone was taken aback when they found the first casualty. The Arbite troop had been turned literally inside out. Simone swallowed hard but pressed on with the rest. Here she also saw the first of the Sisters of Battle. She was wearing the cream colored armor of a girl not fully indoctrinated. She was …a child. Simone said a silent prayer. The girl only added to her questions for the Sororitas. Why were they fielding children, … novices? 

But it was when they reached the once grand ballroom that Simone knew the Bishop had not been lying. Here the carnage threatened to gag them all. Piles of carbon that must have once been human smoked nearly everywhere. And the pools of what the flames had spared were all but unidentifiable. Simone shuddered and thought that maybe that was a mercy. She stepped over what may have once been a woman's arm.

Simone shuddered as they moved slowly into the gigantic room. The smells alone were enough to have her head spinning. She could feel the spent violence hanging in the air. As she moved carefully her foot fetched up against something solid. She glanced down and stopped. It was a pauldron. A crimson pauldron. Well, she thought it was a pauldron. The piece was so warped and ripped that it might be anything. She stooped and picked up the piece of armor. She turned it over in her hands, the hardened material had been shredded like paper and obviously torn bodily from its owner. Crimson armor meant the Sisters of Battle were here. Somewhere. If they had attacked the Pompeii estate on their own, they must know that the Senator was part of the corruption that was spreading on Byzantium. She felt a moment's irritation. Hadn't she already been trying to bring the Sororitas in to this? Well, if they were still here she would have something to say to their commander.

She motioned to the Judge, "Take you troops and search the eastern wing." The man nodded crisply, "Yes, Inquisitor." He turned on his cybernetic leg and gathered his Arbites and moved out. She turned to the Chaplin, "Lets fan out a bit, Chaplin." 

The Chaplin and his Knights fanned out in perfect formation with Arius at the lead. Simone stayed with Malachi and Clayborn. The men were understandably nervous for her safety after everything that had taken place earlier. The Knights and the remaining troops of Arbites moved ahead and into the towering archway that led to the next room.

That room proved to be a cavernous dinning hall. A huge table, that Simone couldn't even guess sat how many, dominated the room. Tall plush chairs stood ready for guests and each place was set with exquisite china service and gold cutlery. Elaborate crystal chandeliers hung every few yards over the table. The walls were burnished bronze colored and mirrored. Simone couldn't help but goggle at the wealth and ostentation on display. Even the floor was covered in ornate woolen rugs thick enough to completely silence their armored footsteps. Unlike the Ballroom, this room remained untouched.