Chapter 9: The Children's Crusade

The Argus dropship banked sharply around the face of the mountain, flying low through the valleys. Winding to and fro, it slid through the majestic range about a hundred kilometers northeast of the capital. The Imperial Naval pilot leaned his head back, "Hey…sister? We'd make a lot better time if we flew over the mountains, y'know?"

Eve, the Sister Superior of the Seraphim, pet the top of his helmet with a ghost of a smile, "Keep us below radar coverage, okay?"

The pilot shrugged, "Sure…my life could use a little more excitement in it…"

The Seraph slid back into the cramped passenger compartment where her five fellow Seraphim sat in their golden Vestments pattern armor. Her glance lighted upon Tamara, the Seraph that had fought the abomination in the Convent. Her face was still pale and her eyes haunted. Eve knew it would be a long time before those images would cease to curse her dreams. Eve too had stared into the mouth of madness that was the corruption of Chaos, and had the nightmares to prove it.

Katherine was stone-faced as she sat at the rear of the transport, staring at her reflection in the shimmering holy relic…the Sword of Saint Magdalena. Not long after arriving at the Cathedral, Katherine had used the Ecclesiarchy's pull to acquire the Argus and a pilot. Eve had no idea where they were going, and was curious at why the Canoness insisted on such secrecy, but she did not question. She would follow the Canoness into the Eye of Terror itself.

"I think we're here," The pilot called back. 

Katherine rose and moved to the fore of the cabin, peering into the cockpit and out the windscreen. Perched on a ledge near the summit of a granite-faced mountain was a fortified structure. The walls of the outer keep were thick granite quarried from the very mountain, and within were four sturdy buildings around a central chapel. "That is the place. Take us down in the courtyard." She cocked her head to the side slightly, pointing at a couple large, wooden buildings outside the walls, "It looks like they've been expanding since I was last here?"

Eve craned her neck to look over the Canoness' shoulder, "And where is here, exactly?"

Katherine turned with a glint in her eye, "The Abbey of Saint Celestine. I had it constructed in secret four years ago, when Rebecca founded the Commandery here on Byzantium."

The Argus settled down gently in the courtyard, under the watchful gaze of Adeptus Sororitas sisters aiming Phaeton air defense autocannons. The rear ramp folded down and Katherine stepped out, with Eve right behind her, "And what will we find here?"

"Salvation, if the Emperor wills it," She said, her breath pluming out in the cold. "Eve, be sure the pilot makes no transmissions by vox, nor tries to take off."

Eve nodded and stepped back inside, gesturing for the other Seraphim to accompany the Canoness. A woman with long, red hair in the golden armor of a Palatine walked toward them, flanked by white-armored Celestians. Her face lit up when she saw who it was and rushed up to put her arms around Katherine, "Mother Superior! It's been so long!"

"Mother Rachel," She returned the embrace, but not the smile, her heart still too heavy from what she had seen at the Convent. 

The Palatine stepped back with a concerned look. "Something is wrong." She had served with Katherine for many years, displaying extraordinary courage and puissance in the Thunderfall campaign. For that, she had been promoted to Sister Superior, and soon after made a Palatine. 

"Walk with me, Rachel," Katherine said. She turned and dismissed the Seraphim with a wave. Rachel did the same with her Celestians and the two groups began exchanging greetings and news. The Canoness walked slowly across the courtyard toward the chapel, "When was the last time you heard from Mother Superior Rebecca?"