Chapter 30: Trapped Within Oneself

Simone watched the fallen senator as two Arbites strapped him into the chair she used to question her 'guests'. He had recovered quickly from the impromptu surgery she had preformed on him earlier. After the Bishop and the several cultists Jorn and Lazarus had captured, Simone had learned a few tricks for working with these followers of Slaanesh. While the lower level cultists had held out to pain much longer then an uncorrupted citizen, even they had eventually given in to the techniques of the Inquisitors. But these in the higher, more devoted, levels were very different. They seemed to thrive on every sensation: even the torture of the Agonizers. So she had gone entirely the opposite direction for Decimus.

After Lazarus had brought the senator in, Simone had had him anesthetized and had cut several of the major nerve endings in his spine. It was delicate work but it wasn't as if he was going to walk away after their 'chat' anyway. Then she had left him to himself for several days so he could truly experience his new state. He had started screaming this morning and she knew he was ready.

She readied her kit and strode into the room where he waited. "Good evening, Senator Decimus, welcome."

What? Who? Decimus' mind scrambled for purchase. Since feeling the thunderous blow to the back of his head in the forum, he had felt nothing...seen nothing...heard nothing...floating in a void. He wondered if he was dead. He wondered if he was in some special Hell devised for him by Slaanesh....a place of complete nothingness where he would slowly go mad. Who are you? Where am I?

Simone grimaced, she hated the slimy feel of his thoughts in her head. But she was amazed at how clear they were. They were like little chips of crystal shining in darkness. She answered him in the same way. I am Inquisitor Godschilde, Senator. You are my 'guest' here. And we have many things to talk about. 

Godschilde...what have you done to me? Where am I?

I think it would be better if I ask the questions. she admonished him. Now, I know you are part of this cult that has taken Slaanesh as its god. And I know that the former Inquisitor Saevitiae is it's head. What can you tell me about him, Decimus?

I will tell you nothing, you fool! He lashed out. You are beneath my contempt! I would say that I don't understand what Gaius sees in you...but that would not be true...he sees another pawn....another slave. And you will be his!

Simone sighed, why did they never just accept that she was going to get what she needed from them. I had hoped you would be smarter, Decimus. she let her disappointment whisper through his mind. Though it had been difficult to accept the help that Katherine had offered her, she was glad now for it. Harodiah had shown her much in the last few days. Do you enjoy being here? In the dark? Even though it is dark there is still some feeling, is there not? Some sense of self. She reached out with her mind and found that small part of Decimus that still 'felt' and wrapped her psychic hands around it. I could remove even that, you know. and she imagined a closed door.

What...what are you doing? You think this foolishness will break me, girl? He projected with bravado, but Simone could feel it was bluster. Fear was gnawing at the edges of his mind. Fear of the nothingness. After years of sensual excess, the sudden reversal...the loss of all senses...was disturbing to say the least.

She wrapped her mind around his and plunged it in to the nothingness. It wasn't even dark here it was nothing: static, white noise. But even here, Decimus could 'feel' her presence. Sad, really. What did Slaanesh promise you? An eternity of pleasure? Sensation of every kind? She withdrew from him left him suspended in the nothing but remained close by. Frightening, isn't it? The loss of everything. Look around Decimus. Feel that? She withdrew further so he was alone.