Chapter 39: Council of War

Flavia closed her eyes with her head resting against the hull of the dropship. On her left and right, her fellow Sororitas were seated on the starboard bench, whispering prayers of thanks to the Emperor. They had been saved, They wouldn't be martyring themselves…at least not yet…not in that place. The craft wobbled slightly as they hit a pocket of turbulence, and the jostling forced her to open her eyes. Across from her sat Katherine, her eyes wide in something of a daze. Flavia understood how she felt…

The young Sister had felt the same strange haze overcome her. She had resigned herself to death. She had gotten used to the idea she would die there…selling her life dearly, taking as many Dark Eldar or cultists with her as she could. Her resignation had led her to a dangerous liaison with the Crusader, Malachi. She whispered her own benediction to the Emperor…one of forgiveness for her foolishness. She had come so close to throwing her purity away. A recklessness had taken hold of her when it seemed sure she would be martyred soon…One chance to feel what other women did…before death.

She saw now the folly, and weakness that she had nearly succumbed to. Her cheeks burned with the shame of it. Flavia took a deep, cleansing breath, as though her sinful thoughts would rush out of her mouth with her breath. 

Still…Malachi was a courageous, honorable man…and ruggedly handsome…

The Argus lighter banked gently as it began to descend. The pilot called back, "We're here, ladies." Upon Flavia's blistering look, he cleared his throat, "Err…Sisters."

Katherine rose like an automaton and stepped forward to look out the windscreen. Situated in a large valley was a massive encampment. Orbital dropships were taking off and landing from a highway that had been pressed into service as a tarmac. Vehicles, equipment, and personnel were being unloaded, the crimson, white, and gold of the Order of Saint Magdalena were clearly visible, glittering in the setting sun. Foxholes had been dug around the perimeter and reinforced with ablative shields, sandbags, and felled trees from the hillside. 

The Order of Saint Magdalena had come for war.

Along the valley floor, other orbital craft were dropping off other forces. The black and white of the Black Templars could be seen, and the Blue of the Ultramarines, Thunderhawks blasting back up into the sky to ferry more Space Marines to the planet's surface. The Cadian Imperial Guard forces dwarfed those of the Adeptus Astartes and Sororitas, their encampment growing to cover the rest of the valley. Thunderbolts and Lighting aircraft shot overhead, flying patrol over the camp. 

The Argus landed on the highway concrete and the rear egress ramp lowered. Katherine stood at the opening, life seeming to return to her face as she saw the sisters of her personal Commandery from Pentateuch. She looked over her shoulder, "My young sisters…welcome to the Order of Saint Magdalena."

As she strode off the ramp, a cheer rose among the Sororitas who were within the camp. The golden-red armor that Katherine wore, a Holy Relic once belonging to the Living Saint for whom the Order was named, was intimately known to each. The cheer rippled through the camp as it was passed from sister to sister, until every one had heard the news. Their Mother Superior was here. Katherine was back to lead them against the enemies of the Emperor. 

Walking toward her was a plain faced woman with chestnut brown hair, in the golden armor of a Palatine. "Rhoda…" Katherine breathed in relief. The Palatine walked directly to her and threw her arms around Katherine. The Canoness returned the hug briefly and made ready to disengage, but Rhoda held her close, not releasing her. After a half-second's pause, Katherine relaxed and laid her head on the other sister's shoulder. "Thank you, Rhoda. I needed that…you don't know how badly."