Chapter 12: Katherine's Crusade Begins

The rain was coming down in a light drizzle as the setting sun cast long shadows across the narrow, twisting streets of the Sabataena district of Constantius. The sector of the city sprawled over two hills on the northeast side of the metropolis, its streets winding up the steep inclines with buildings of grey stone and ferrocrete jumbled almost haphazardly along the roads. In the spaces between, other buildings were jammed, creating a veritable maze of alleyways. This chaotic warren was home to the poorer citizens and plebians who worked in factories or the service industries, lower income families struggling to get by. 

Claudia crossed the street unhurriedly, as no one in this part of town could afford a ground car, so there was little worry about traffic. Despite the rain, she wore no cloak and carried no umbrella. Her saffron-colored tunic was plastered to her skin, clinging to every curve of her torso and breasts in unseemly and immodest display. The tunic was only inches lower than her hips, so the garters that held up her stockings were visible. Her shoes were red, clashing with her tunic, with five-inch spike heels. Glass baubles and jewelry decorated her neck and ears. Few on the street paid her any heed…just another prostitute making her way to her street corner, where she'd sell herself for entirely too little money.

She was propositioned twice on the short walk, but she just shook her head. On the way to an appointment or late to her brothel, she'd murmur. Brushing her sodden, short, black hair from her face, she turned off the main street and into an alleyway, now dark from the dusk shadows. She weaved left and right through the narrow lane, between decrepit buildings abandoned by urban decay. 

Suddenly, an arm shot out of the darkness of an open doorway, grasping her upper arm. She had time for just a squealing yelp of surprise as she was pulled into the ruins. She fell into a steel-like embrace against a body sheathed in ceramite plates, another hand whipping up to cover her mouth. "Shhhh…it's me, Katherine."

"Emperor's Mother!" Claudia gasped as she was released. She turned and could barely make out the Canoness' form in the gloom as her eyes adjusted. "You nearly scared the life from me."

"We had to move," Katherine explained, peering intently out the window to be sure Claudia was not followed. "Thankfully many of the buildings in this area are abandoned, but there are some squatters. I'd rather not kill anyone to preserve our secrecy if I don't have to."

Claudia nodded, slicking back her wet hair with her fingers. She glanced self-consciously down at her clothing, "I apologize for my…immodest dress, Mother Superior."

"A necessary deception, Claudia," Katherine assured her. "And I thank you for donning the costume of a prostitute once again for us. You left that life behind for your love of the Emperor, and I know you wished never to relive that life again."

"It is all part of my penance, Mother Superior," Claudia replied with a fire in her eyes. "I will do whatever is necessary to serve the Emperor, and you." She bowed her head with reverence. Claudia was Sister Bethany's prized pupil in her seminary, already considered a leader among the other "Priestesses". Katherine gestured, and several other priestesses emerged from the shadows of the building, bearing a cuirass of armor and the burgundy and cream-colored robes of Bethany's new order of priestesses.

"What have you discovered in the dens of sin?" Katherine asked, as Claudia shed her soaking garb to don the robes.

"I visited several of the brothels, as though I was looking for work," She replied, sliding into the dry clothing. "I was given the opportunity to talk with a lot of the working girls and some of the customers. They're whores, but honest ones." She blushed slightly, "In that they are uncorrupted by Slaanesh, I mean." Katherine nodded her understanding and Claudia continued, "When I worked the houses in Veii, there were always places where customers could be directed if they had more…unusual tastes."