Chapter 7: Fallen Convent

The question of which of her selves was more suited for the mission had weighed heavily on Dahlia's mind, but in the end she had chosen to distribute the work evenly among talents. The proper arrangements had been made for a swift departure in a small Clipper, as was a forged Vox to one Bishop Neileos of Byzantium. She had gathered her weaponry and a sufficient supply of polymorphine and serum; although she had not needed to, she had chosen to transform before the journey. With the injection, she had felt her body immediately respond, it had only taken a few moments for her form to realign; for each curve to be replaced by the sharp angles of aged masculinity. 

She had chosen to take the form of a lesser known member of the clergy, Cardinal Antipus Maximus, kind and gentle man who appeared to be in his mid-fifties. His presence on Byzantium would not be questioned, particularly in the greeting of a Cannoness. After some research she was capable of emulating the man with almost painful detail. At five foot seven inches, he was not tall for a man, and though he had engaged in battle in his youth, as he had climbed the ladder of success, his life had become far too important to the Ecclesiarchy. His skills as a warrior of the flesh had atrophied as had his muscles, but those hazel eyes spoke of passionate devotion to the Emperor, a feverous servitude to his savior. 

The Clipper had made record time in its trip through the warp, and as the Cardinal stepped from the vessel a humble smile was painted across thin lips, creasing the weathered, clean-shaven cheeks. An invisible wall was set into place, guarding all thoughts other than those of the Ecclesiarchy. With each step, the mass of crimson robes pooled around his ankles, a sizable Rosarius, adorned the breast of his frock, spreading near the width of his shoulders. From it a traditional and elaborate pendant glimmered in the overhead lights; the symbol of the God Emperor perched atop his Golden Throne. 

For a moment the scenery was taken in: all around were weary-eyed Adeptus Arbites, their dark blue carapace armor polished almost to a fault, hips adorned with shotguns, and Arbites Shock Troops, Suppression Shields and Shock Mauls at the ready. A sea of bodies washed over the station, perched in waiting areas, dragging luggage and huddled together in little groupings. Their voices filled the air, it was almost enough to become lost in; so many were elated cries, and yet there was an even number of mournful farewells. Enough sight-seeing, we have to find the Inquisition Ship and the little welcome party. 

A young man approached hesitantly, his clothing crisp and proper of a young Deacon; as he bowed, fist over heart he announced himself, admiration and duty strengthening his quaking voice. "Your Eminence, I am Oedipus, servant to his Excellence Bishop Neileos. I have been sent to guide you to the others." A hand was extended to the boy and as he clasped it, his lips brushed over the ornate insignia ring. "Very well, young Oedipus." The crimson figure leisurely glided behind that of the youth's, hands folded beneath belled sleeves in humble silence.

The pair made their way into an area of the spaceport that was surrounded by a glorious view of the skies and any incoming vessels. Approaching the small grouping of clergymen and company, Oedipus led the introductions "His Eminence Cardinal Antipus Maximus!" With a gracious smile the pleasantries ensued, "Gentleman, your Excellancy…" and once all were named and greeted they all fell into the pattern of waiting. Finding no need for idle words most were silent, but all seemed to have the respect and courtesy to leave 'Antipus' in peace. 

In time the silence was broken by the thunderous roar of an approaching ship. All eyes lifted to behold the massive vessel, it was architectural masterpiece in and of itself, with jutting steeples and it's angelic statues at standing erect, ready to defend and enforce The Emperor's word. A glorious sight indeed, the holograms did it little justice. As the Vigilance docked the clergymen stood in anticipation, 'Antipus' followed suit, straightening the folds of his garments and fixing those hazel eyes onto the terminal.