Chapter 28: Out of Pain are Heroes Forged

Nwalcalindë sighed with a mixture of sexual release and disappointment. "Nas qualin…"("He's dead.") She pouted, looking down at her handiwork. The butchered carcass on the table had once been a human named Appius Claudius. She had kept him alive as long as she could, to soak up as much of his agony and misery as she could…but humans could be fragile and it seemed they always perished too soon. She slipped the scalpel-like blade into a sheath on her belt of black wraithbone, which was the only article of clothing she was wearing. Nwalcalindë always preferred to work in the nude. All the better to truly experience it, the glorious sensation of hot blood splashing on her cool, milky skin. Sometimes she would practically shower in the blood of her victims, as though she could absorb the vitality of the life fluids through osmosis. 

Gaius had contacted her earlier that evening with a change of orders. Though the tone of his mental "voice" had been calm, she could feel the anger throbbing in his spirit through the telepathic link. The Messiah of Slaanesh had learned that some of his cult's gang members has taken the initiative to attack the local Inquisitor, a woman named Simone Godschilde. At first, Nwalcalindë thought he was perturbed by their failure to kill her, but it turned out he was furious they had assaulted her without authorization. It seemed this Godschilde was another pet project of his. 

So she had been ordered to seek out these fools and punish them…in gruesome, spectacular fashion. They were to be made examples of to the other riff-raff scum of these human plebians…"Do as you are told." Also to be eliminated was this Claudius fool. The attack on the Inquisitor would surely bring an investigation, and he needed to be silenced before the Arbitrators had tracked him down. While it rankled her to be ordered about like a common flunky, she also felt a mild pleasure that Gaius should trust her to accomplish this necessary precaution. A slim smile spread across her face as she knew he had given her the task because he knew she would enjoy it…a chance to torture…to slay.

He could be a cruel master…and sometimes he could be thoughtful. It was that dichotomy that drew her to him…like the moth to the dangerous, burning flame. And deep down, in the core of her black heart, she truly was his slave.

From the large forum nearby she heard the sharp crackle of splinter guns firing, followed by the bass thunder of bolters. She glanced to the small coterie of Dark Eldar aristocrats who had been watching her handiwork with eager glee. Their leader was a lesser Cundu, a minor Eldar Prince by the name of Mornathulë. He was one of her staunchest supporters among the cutthroat politics of the Dark Eldar aristocracy, and when the mood struck her, a lover she could dominate as she yearned to be dominated. With him were six Incubi, the most elite of Eldar warriors in thick armor of Wraithbone…every bit the equivalent to the humans' power armor. The Aráto, or Master Champion of the Incubi was a fiery-eyed man named Falmasercë. 

Mornathulë cocked his head, listening to the reports of weapon fire, "Firiciryamor?"("Marines?")

Nwalcalindë closed her eyes for a moment and sighed, "Lá. Hyamalavendi…"("No. Nuns…") Rolling her eyes, she picked up a black cloak from a chair and slid it over her shoulders, not bothering with the rest of her clothes. She beckoned with a crooked finger as she strode toward the door, "Átúlë."("Come.")

Stepping out into the forum, Nwalcalindë's eyes widened in surprise. Two dozen of her Wyches, Warriors, and Grotesques killed…and only a couple casualties to the Whores of the Emperor? Shameful! Her fists clenched. The corner of her lips curled up in a snarl. She summoned her power, wrapping herself in a swirl of warped perception and illusion. Pointing, she commanded, "Minya, ánahta i ninqui huandi!"("First, kill the bitches in white!") The Incubi sprang into action, anxious to please their priestess. Nwalcalindë turned to face the crimson-clad Lay-sisters with eyes narrowed in hatred, the swell of her psychic might filling her…