Chapter 8: Counterfeit Canoness

Staring across the Immolator 'the Cardinal' remained in a respectful state of silence yet again. Those who had gone into the Cathedral, had come out in a rather morbid state. One could not blame them. Especially Katherine and the one called Harodiah. They had witnessed and survived a wretched event, one that would scar a civilian for life, and yet these women must press on. 

They rattled down a road and suddenly came to a halt, the driver called back to the passengers. "Mother Superior, we have arrived." Within moments the door was opened and the small party stepped outside; the sun had set low in the sky, shedding a heated glow upon the autumn brilliance. They stood before the doors of a sprawling, gray complex of buildings, yet another cathedral, nearly half a mile in radius. Architecture on this planet was indeed spectacular.

All parties were ushered inside the Cathedral, tensions did seem a bit high, but all would settle in time. As they entered the 'Antipus' was greeted by a gracious set of priests, swathed in brown robes that spoke of their lower ranks. A brief glance was spared to Katherine and her Repentia, just what was going to happen?

Katherine stepped off the Immolator, her face dour. She scanned the faces of the priests and picked one out who seemed to be the highest placed, "Father? I'll need to see a Dialogus to have billeting arranged for my sisters and I as soon as possible." The priest nodded and began to turn away, but she halted him with a hand on his arm, "Father! Also, I'll need an aerial transport. A Valkyrie, Aquila, or an Argus. Whatever you can get here soonest."

Hmm...going somewhere are we? Dahlia pondered. As the priest left them, a new task to add to his list they moved further into the Cathedral, and were approached by a crimson and white 'habit', the requested Dialogus. "Mother Superior, allow me to show you to your bellets before we continue?" At that time the Priests who had been sent to attent to 'Antpus' chimed in as well. "And we will guide you to yours your Eminance, they are in the same area. If you would follow us?" A weary head was bobbed in acknowledgement.

The Canoness turned to Dinah as they walked, "Get the sisters into their rooms and get some rest. I'll take Eve and the Seraphim with me."

"Where are you going?"

Katherine glanced around, "The Commandery here is gone, Dinah. But there are more Sisters of the Order here on Byzantium that no one knows about. I have to check on them and bring them into play. This planet is crawling with Chaos...and every sister will be needed..."

They started off towards a lengthy hallway to the left, the doors that lined the stark walls were thick and strong. As they walked Dahlia took in every turn, the number of doors, creating a map to backtrack when needed. So Katherine was to fetch the reinforcements, the planet was crawling with Chaos? Dahlia was slightly unsettled, if the Canoness was making such accusations then surely what was said earlier had its part in the truth.

Dahlia knew that Harodiah had to be questioned. She seemed to have some of the answers tucked away in that leather-clad head of hers, the only question was how to get her to open up. Dearest Mother Superior....they seemed rather chummy back at the Cathedral... Indeed they did. Katherine was the key, and Katherine was leaving. Dahlia made up her mind to seize the opportunity to speak with Harodiah.

As they reached the end of yet another hallway their 'tour guides' stopped and began assigning rooms. Special care was taken to note the room that the Repentia was given. Tonight would be Dahlia's last night shadowing the Sisters of Battle. 'The Cardinal' turned to Katherine. "Mother Superior, forgive me but I too must be leaving. I was sent here to guide you to the Cathedral and offer the comfort of confession. As we have concluded the first, and you have no apparent need for any other service I offer, I must kindly ask that you forgive me for being of little help."