Chapter 42: The Beginning of the End

The Daemonette's ear-splitting screech echoed through the cellar storeroom as it was impaled upon the short, broad blade. The Celestian's gleaming white armor was marred by the blackish ichors that spilled from the wound, but the Sororitas paid no heed. Beside her, Mother Rhoda lifted her shield, the claws of another Daemonette scraping across its surface. She pivoted and the power blade in her hand hummed, shearing through flesh made of Warp-stuff like paper. Rhode's eye caught one of the Daemonette's fleeing for the doors. "Stop that one!" She pointed her blade as she shouted, "She must not be allowed to raise the alarm!"

Before any of the sisters could move to engage, Harodiah balled her hands into fists, opening wide the gates that held fast her own warp-spawned powers. The gorge rose in her throat as her mind touched the Immaterium, channeling the chaotic psychic forces into form. The pulse burst from her as though vomited forth, a searing flame that struck the fleeing daemon mid-stride. It loosed only a short howl of agony as it was consumed. The penitent psychic clutched her rosarius and whispered a benediction of forgiveness, feeling unclean for having used her witchery…even in the service of the Emperor.

Katherine quickly stepped into the room from the staircase that descended deep into the bowels of the earth, scanning the large chamber for any other signs of Gaius' beasts. Celestians and Repentias were fanning out among the cases and crates of the colossal storeroom. Several lay in pools of their own blood, victims of the Daemonette's claws…hard as diamonds and capable of rending even the ceramite plates of their Vestments pattern power-armor. Our first casualties of the day… Katherine thought, morbidly. …and certainly not the last.

She almost laughed at the relief she felt, knowing they were inside the Imperial palace…surrounded by perhaps two hundred minions of Chaos and an unknown number of summoned daemons from the depths of the Eye of Terror. Despite the bleak odds of survival, it seemed preferable to the deafening silence and weighted gloom of the tunnel. Here she could finally breathe. Here they would fight and slay and be martyred in the Emperor's name…it was their duty, their honor, and their lives' calling. She had no illusions about their survival this night…but if they could take Gaius with them it was well worth the price.

"Esther!" Katherine called for the dialogus that had bravely volunteered to accompany the Sisters of Battle. The older woman came forward, armored lightly and carrying satchels full of papers, maps, and a portable thought engine. It was with her aid that the ancient plans of the tunnel, and the deep catacombs under the Imperial palace had been deciphered, and the treacherous paths navigated. "Do you know where we are?"

"Yes, Mother Superior," Esther answered, keying up her thought engine. The data was displayed on the monocle optic over her right eye, superimposing it over her vision. "This is storeroom three-zeta, emergency rations storage in case of siege…" She glanced around, locating the two exits to the huge chamber, easily the size of a small stadium. "That exit on the left leads to access corridor zeta. We'll need to turn right, past the small arms ammunition bay to reach the main hall, then left to the Palace courtyard."

Katherine nodded, "Mother Elizabeth." She turned to find the Palatine in command of the First Mission. "The main hall and entrance to the storerooms are bound to be guarded. You and Sword Mission have the honor of breaking us out of this place. Form up on the door there and await orders to engage."

The Palatine tucked a wayward blonde curl behind her ear, the grin on her face mad with zealous faith, "Yes, Mother Superior!"

She then turned to Victoria, who commanded the Second Mission, "Once in the courtyard, Elizabeth will lead her forces against the main palace itself. Mother Victoria, you will take Shield Mission and take up defensive positions around the courtyard. Your task is to defend our backs from reinforcements coming from the rest of the fortress. You must buy us enough time to fight through the palace guards and find Gaius."