(2) Home sweet Home

When Shade used her key to open the door, her Mom smiled down at her.

     “Hi sweetie,” she said, “How was your day?”

     “Good,” she said. Her Mom let her in. She was really pretty, with cinnamon hair, wearing her old-fashion light blue dress with a white apron. Her eyes were a pretty mix of blue and silver. It was a shame she was single still: her father died in the war. Her name is Susan Darkrider.

     “How’s Paige?” asked Shade. Paige is her little sister.

     “She’s in her room,” said Mom, then giggled, “Good luck getting her attention.”

     Shade nodded and went to Paige’s room.

     Now, quick warning before meeting Shade’s crazy sister: she has a wild imagination, and can draw anything she sees for such a young age: which is basically nine, almost ten. She looks a lot like their mother: same hair but light, same eyes but are pretty big, as well as cute. She likes to braid her hair and hang a feather in it, and she’s wearing her favorite golden heart locket: the first gift she had from her father when she was born. Shade has one to, only it was silver. She appeared to be drawing something while singing.

     “Hey Paige,” she said.

     She kept singing while drawing.

     “Paige!” she said louder. She then lunged and tickled her.

     “Stop it!” she said, giggling rapidly. Shade kept tickling until Paige was coughing from laughing so hard. Shade stopped.

     “When will you not ambush tickle me?” she complained.

     “When pigs fly,” said Shade, “So, what are you drawing?”

     “A bunch of stuff! Look, I drew your birthmark!” she showed her the star drawing: and Shade glanced at her right palm. Her birthmark took the form of a simple star, not the cartoony kind, but the kind that looks like a cross within a cross. Though Paige did it all fancy like: with what appearing to be mist swirling around it.

     “It’s beautiful, sis,” she said, ruffling her hair.

     “Thanks!” said Paige, “I also drew some dragons! Look!”

     Shade winced, “Paige, you know how the people feel― whoa!”

     Paige was only nine, yet she drew four different dragons: one with red scales and black trimmed wings, a dragon made out of water, a dragon made out of earth, and one made completely of air.

     “And you just made these up?” asked Shade in amazement.

     Paige shook her head, “I dreamed about them. I also made up names for each of them: the fiery looking one is Furno, the water one Aqua-Marina, the earthy one Draco, and the Air one Breeze.”

     “Interesting,” mumbled Shade, looking at the drawing. “You do know though there are only shadow dragons, and they’re bad news.”

     Paige’s shoulders slumped, “I know, but . . . what if there are like, I don’t know . . . one for each element? And each one is hidden in a secret remote location having to do with the element? And maybe a master dragon to!”

     “Master dragon . . ., yeah, that’s just what we need.”

     Paige wrapped her small hand around her necklace, “Daddy believed me . . . why can’t you?”

     The question made her sad, thinking about her father. Why did he had to leave them? It just wasn’t fair.

     “I don’t know Paige,” said Shade, “If there is a good dragon, I haven’t met it yet.”

     “If you do, can I meet him?” Paige asked, “I always wanted to see them!”

     That just made Shade felt worse.

     “No promises, I’m afraid,” said Shade. Paige looked at her feet, disappointed. Shade kneeled down, “But if I do find one, I might be able to help you ride it.”

     Paige smiled, “You’re the best Shady!”

     Shade laughed as Paige gave her a hug. Shade hugged her back.

     “Hey, it’s getting dark out. Wanna go look at the stars?”

     “Oooo, can we?!” asked Paige.

     “Let’s get Mom and go outside,” said Shade, and picked up Paige and put her on her shoulders as they ran across the hall, Paige flapping her pretend wings.

     “You two are so energetic together!” Mom laughed.

     “Anything to learn to fly!” said Paige, Shade putting her down gently.

     “So adorable,” said Mom, kissing Paige on the cheek. Paige giggled as they went outside onto the balcony. The sun started to set and the stars started to reveal themselves.

     “They’re so pretty,” said Paige, “I can see the Pegasus one!”

     “Very good Paige!” said Mom.

     “Dad used to point out all the ones he’ll see in the sky,” mumbled Shade, holding her arms. “Even with the stars, the sky seems so dark without him.”

     Mom hugged her, “I know honey. Come on, time for bed you two.”

     “Awww!” said Paige. They went inside, but just before Shade went in, she heard a faint reptilian cry, as if something was in pain.

     “Shade, hurry before the cold air gets in!” said Mom.

            “Sorry!” said Shade, and went inside.