(10) The Gloves

As Dusk flew in the sky, Shade felt like she could touch the clouds that passed them by, the sky a brilliant blue. Down below, trees and thin rivers appeared on the surface, the grass a healthy green. She could feel the wind blowing in her hair, and she felt unstoppable.

     “Man,” said Shade, “This is so―”

     She was stopped by a sound of a growling stomach.

     “Really Ray?” she said.

     “Hey, it wasn’t me!” he protested, his stomach growling again.

     Dusk made a light roaring sound like laughter.

     “Ah shut up you shadow sack,” grumbled Ray. Dusk flicked his tail so it hit the back of Ray’s head. Ray winced and covered the back of his head with his hand, “Ow! Not cool!”

     Dusk did more roar-like laughter.

     “Hey I will turn around if you and Dusk won’t behave,” said Shade. Ray chuckled, “Yes Ma’am.”

     Celeste held her stomach, “Well can we find some food anyway? I’m a little hungry too.”

     Shade sighed, “Alright, we should find a village for food.”

     “There’s one up ahead,” said Ray, “Silvermeadow.”

     Dusk nodded as they flew a little faster. Soon they could see the village, and once Silvermeadow was in sight, Shade had Dusk land in the forest a few yards away. They were surrounded by green summer trees, different colored leaves lay on the ground as they crunched under Shade’s feet. Luckily the open area was big enough for Dusk to fit. He rested next to a bolder that looked like it’s made out of limestone.

     “Looks like you’re going to have to stay here buddy,” Shade regretted. Dusk made a grumbling sound. “I know, but people will hurt you if you’re seen in public. Don’t worry, I’ll try to find you some meat or stake to eat.”

     It took some time, but Dusk finally agreed. He went over next to the border, went in a circle, and lay down with a thump. The sound made some seagull peacock birds freak out and flutter away. They’re called that because their feathers are white and about the same size as a seagull, with their wings like peacock feathers, and their cry sound like a mix of a seagull and a peacock. Their beaks are yellowish orange and their legs were stubby and a respectable length for a small bird.

     After that, the three guardians found a sandy-colored path surrounded by green grass and pebbles in different places, along with a few twigs scattered on the road. Shade could see some clouds form simple shapes in the blue sky; like an arrow, star, etc.

     When they got to their destination, a stone rectangular arc appeared as an entrance to the village. Behind it where the village lay are some old wooden houses in a certain order, along with a few different buildings. A water fountain laid dead center in the village. It’s made of marble, with a winged baby in a ballet position shooting water out of its mouth. As kids walked by, Shade quickly put her right hand in her pocket.

     Ray raised an eyebrow as he whispered, “Why are you hiding your birthmark?”

     “It’s not just a birthmark anymore,” mumbled Shade, “It’s an exposal to my identity. Everyone knows the marks of each Guardian. We can’t draw any attention from you know who.”

     Ray nodded, “Right. In that case we should get some disguises and some food. Let’s find a market.”