Emotional Destruction

•Erin

What was the point of hiding it anymore? My name was Erin Lucy Garnett. My older brother is dead. My parents named him Jarod John Garnett but his friends and I called him King. That's what he was to us, he protected us all like he was our protector, our King.

"Welcome home Erin." Nodding at the cameras out front, I began the longest walk of my life to the double doors usually awaiting me. Taking a deep breath, I clutched my dress close as I reached up to knock on the door.

"Welcome home baby!" Stumbling a little when my Mother threw herself into me I sighed and held her back.

"Hey, Mom."

"You been okay? No one's hurt you have they baby?"

"Mom no, let's just get this over with I have somewhere important to be later." I replied, clearly agitated.

"Where could that possibly be on this day?" Hearing my Fathers rough voice bounce off my ears, I remembered why I was in a rush to leave.

"I'm going to go get dressed." I sighed, heading towards the steps.

"Good! We have a guest coming his name is-"

"Esq-" I started.

"Oh Benjamin! Nice of you to arrive so soon!" My Mother smiled. Twisting around fully to watch Esquire hug my parents I raised an eyebrow as he approached the steps.

"Nice to meet you Erin , Benjamin Gordon." Nodding to me, I watched his smile drop into a frown as I glared down at him.

"I'll be down soon." Hearing my parents apologize for my behavior I entered my bedroom and flopped on my bed with a sigh. I honestly missed the sanctuary of my room but all my Aunt could afford right now was a springy twin bed mattress. Rashad's bed was way better than that for sure.

Rashad.

He hasn't spoken to me or even looked at me in weeks. He refuses to make eye contact with me now, even in class. Clicking my phone on I sighed when I saw no notifications. Undressing I looked at the door for a moment before gathering a duffel bag and loading more clothes into it. Kicking it under my bed for now I dropped my simple white dress down over my head, fluffing my hair up as I left my room. It had been a few weeks now, so I could bare to limp around without crutches for now. My aunt was fitting me for a new brace tomorrow, so that was something.

"Nice of you to join us." Looking up at my Father's sarcastic tone I rolled my eyes and observed the meal before me. I had been feeling a little sick lately but I pushed it to the back of my mind and prayed over the meal presented to me. It was a simple lobster tail, a well done steak, mashed potatoes with a small side of buffalo styled cauliflower. It made me smile and remember who I was here for and why.

-F L A S H B A C K

"I miss aunt eve, she always made me feel better." I sniffled, mumbling to myself.

"Oh so I don't make you feel better?" Looking up as my door was pushed open fully I smiled and ran into his arms. Burying my face into his shoulder blade, I struggled to not make this moment to emotional.

"Hey, hey I'm still sore." He winced before winking at me as he finally sat down. Observing my room for a moment, he sighed and adjusted the sling holding his arm. My eyes drifted to his gauzed arm several times in the silence until he relented and snapped his fingers.

"Hey? Remember me? Seems like my gunshot wound is getting all the glory." He joked, sitting up straight when my face fell.

"Listen... I need you to stop blaming yourself for everything. What happened last night was only one person's fault you understand?" Swallowing the tears threatening to fall I nodded.