Chapter 5: The dinner

Today at school me and Shawn got paired for another project which we will do in the weekend because tonight is the dinner his parents invited me to. At lunch I sat at my usual spot with Karen and Aurora and they were really happy about it when I told them.

I couldn't wait for school to end because I was excited to meet his parents and make a good impression but at the same time I was very nervous when it comes to be around him. I get this feeling in my stomach when I'm around him that it's hard to explain.

I walked home after school and couldn't hide my excitment when I walked inside. ''Hey, honey!'' - my mom greeted me and hugged me. ''Hi.'' - I said and hugged her back. ''You look happy. Did something happen today at school?'' - she asked while going back to the kitchen to check on the meal she was cooking.

''Actually, yes. Something happened.'' - I said as I dropped my backpack. ''I'm going for dinner at a classmate's place. His parents want to meet me and thank me for helping him in school.'' - I said and she started screaming. ''OMG, that's amazing. I'm so proud of you.'' - she exclaimed and came to give me a bone crushing hug.

''Thanks, mom. I'll go get ready.'' - I said as I started making my way to my room. I started running through my closet. Not that I had many clothes or anything fancy but I managed to find something that looked nice and presentable.

I took a long and relaxing shower and thought about a lot of stuff and how the dinner could go. I started overthinking so I stopped the water and wrapped a towel around my waist and went into my room. I got dressed and brushed my teeth. After that I tried styling my hair but I'm not that good. I made it look decent after half an hour in front of the mirror.

I don't know why I'm going so far just to impress him and his family. I really want his family to like me because I really like him and I want to find his soft side hiding behind his arogant attitude.

I looked at the time and saw that I had an hour till he picks me up from the park. I made my way downstairs and saw that my dad came home early from work. ''Make sure you make a good impression, son.'' - he said after greeting me and I nodded. They both hugged me and I started walking to the park. It was now 5:48 and there were still like 10 mins till he has to come and pick me up.

I sat on a bench and waited until I saw his car towards me. I got inside and greeted him but he acted like I wasn't there. It hurt but I won't let his actions or words affect me too much. Maybe he has a reason for acting that way.

Soon we were in front of his house and I suddenly got nervous. What if they don't like me? We went inside and I was hit by the delicious smell of the food and I felt that welcoming atmopshere like I was at home which made me forget all my worries about them not liking me.

''Hello, Cameron.'' - his mother said and both of his parents came to me and his mother hugged me while his dad shook my hand. ''Good evening! Thank you for inviting me for dinner, Mrs. and Mr. Mendes.'' - I said and they smiled at me while Shawn just rolled his eyes which made me laugh.

We sat by the table and his mom served the food which looked fantastic. ''It looks and smells delicious, Mrs. Mendes.'' - I said and she smiled and thanked me. ''So, Cameron. Tell us about yourself.'' - his dad spoke.

''Well.. there's not much to say. I'm from a poor family but we're happy with what we have because we truly love each other. I'm an only child and I try my best at school so one day I can get a good job and help my family.'' - I said and they looked stunned.

''I'm sure your dream will come true, dear.'' - his mother said and I smiled at her. His dad was really nice as well but Shawn was quiet the whole time and didn't speak unless his parents asked him a question. After he was done eating he excused himself and went to his room.

''I'm sorry about Shawn. He's been acting like that since his beloved sister passed away but he's a good kid.'' - his mother said and I felt so sad for some reason. ''I'm truly sorry for your loss, Mrs. and Mr. Mendes. And believe me I can see the good in him hiding behind his words and actions.'' - I said and they smiled at me.

''You're a good kid too, Cameron. I'm sure your parents are proud of you.'' - his dad said and I thanked him. It felt so awesome that his family actually liked me. ''Thank you for the dinner. It was amazing.'' - I said to Mrs. Mendes after her husband went to check on Shawn. ''No problem, dear. It was a pleasure having you here with us. Have a good night.'' - she said and hugged me. ''Good night, Mrs. Mendes.'' - I said and left the house.

I didn't want to bother Shawn so I just started walking to home. It wasn't that cold and I could use the time to think about him and how I can get him to come out of his shell.

--------------------------------