Chapter 3 - Exitential

The soothing warmth of a shower, what could be better for washing away past sins and fear? In Sans' opinion, nothing. Nothing can compare to the pleasant waterfall that would hold its cozy blanketing heat around you as your mind goes clear. Almost tranquil, almost peaceful, almost as though the past never happened and the future will never occur. Sadly, this moment had to end.

Stepping out of the tall glass box, the now clean and slightly more alert Sans slowly stumbled over to the bathroom mirror, regretting immediately his decision to leave the calmness the shower. As he dared glanced at his reflection in the looking glass, the oldest son was met by the face of defeat,tiredness, and misery. Seeing such an image reminded the skeleton of one of the sayings his father used to tell him when he was just a child, and one that Sans himself now uses on Pap.

'All good things must come to an end... But the bad times can't last forever'

''Heh, yeah right...''

Sans scoffed at his father's once admirable words. Now the only 'good things' happening in his life, always take a turn for the worst. Any opportunity taken, any joyful moment seized, all ended up with crushed hopes and dreams.

Sans' father was no other than the late royal scientist, Dr W.D.Gaster. He was the genius behind the creation of the core, a giant, efficient, and 100% clean source of electricity that powered the entire underground. He also happened to be the initiator that kick started the investigation in to human souls and the singular traits contained within each one. By using heavily modified chromotography techniques (most commonly used to isolate the photosynthetic pigments in plants), Gaster was able to discover that there are multiple traits active and present in each soul at any one time. This, in turn, lead to the many breakthroughs in soul science. Although, sadly, it wasn't enough to trick the barrier in to opening.

And now Gaster is dead.
The core remains and even some of his research.
But no-one, but Sans, can even recall his name.

'All good things must come to an end...'

"Yeh, and then we are all forgotten. Lost to time. Nothing you do matters because, in the end, no-one will even remember your name..."

*Sans is engulfed in despair.*

'How many times have I gotten to the surface? How many times have me, Pap, and everyone else seen the stars and the great big world above our heads, only to wake back up underground with a murderous demon? Heh, at least they don't have to suffer may fate. At least they don't remember. At least Papyrus is gone first, he doesn't have to witness the rest of his friends being mercilessly dusted at the hands of that BEAST... unlike me.'

Sans slowly trudged down the old wood stairs. Each step was silent, almost as though Sans himself was of another world, a mere manifestation that fazed through the fabric of reality. The warm fuzz of his deep pink slippers was a comfort Sans had become accustomed to, much like Papyrus' cheery attitude and sub-par spaghetti cooking.

He almost expected to be greeted the instant by his lovable dork of a brother. But instead his eye sockets fell upon a lone, dusty, red scarf.

"Papyrus!"