Chapter 5- Reminiscence

Sighing deeply, Sans re-awoke to a soft unfamiliar feeling surrounding his short frame. He opened his eye sockets to a vibrant sea of orange draping over him, tucking him in ever so carefully.

'This was obviously Papyrus' room but... why am I here? Oh yeah, that's right ... I broke down crying at the sight of a dirty scarf.
Stupid.
For God's sake, get a grip Sans!'

Sans began to mentally scold himself for letting Papyrus see (even if it was just a glimpse) just how messed up he truly was, when he heard a gentle stirring and the shuffling of clothing coming from the seat beside the bed.

'Heh'

Sans usually sat in that chair to read Paps his nightly bed time story, it was like a ritual they've had since they were children. It was a shorter than average, brown, leather recliner, but was so comfortable that Sans himself had often fell asleep within it's confines. He's had that chair longer than he could remember, all he knew was that his father often fell asleep in that chair with a pile of paperwork in his lap. Glancing over his father's papers and formulae is how Sans had gotten into and discovered his talent for science. Helping out with the math and the theory behind many projects. That was before... well... that's not important.

Groaning softly, Sans made his presence known by turning away from the cream wall beside him to face Papyrus. His face was one of worry as he stared into space.

'Shit, you did this. Oh man, you thought you fucked up before this... Welp now it's one thousand times worse now. Great job Sans ! Great job!'

Suddenly Papyrus broke out of his trace, braking eye contact with the bare wall and instead looking directly at him. A smile now plastered on his face. He spoke unnaturally quietly(well when compared to his voice most of the time).

"Good afternoon Sans, how are you? Did you sleep well?"

"Morning Paps, I'm good thanks"

An un-easy silence fell over the two, the atmosphere grew awkward and tense almost suffocating the already anxious skeleton. What would Paps say after that display... God only knows how Papyrus is feeling right about now.

"Look Papyrus, I'd rather you ask about earlier than us s-sitting here in silence...
...so go on then..."

Finally Papyrus spoke after another minute of calculating his answer and his method to approach the subject. Caution.

"Sans, I'm not mad... I'm just concerned on how quickly you jumped to the conclusion of ... well... my d-death. You've been acting strange lately and don't think I haven't noticed how tired you've been the last few days. I can't believe I'm saying this but... you need to sleep more. You haven't even been doing the napping thing! I'm worried about you, so ... what's wrong? Why haven't you slept?

Sans let out a deep sigh.
'He only noticed a few odd days, that's good.'

" Whatcha mean bro, you know I'm so good at sleeping that I can do it... with my eyes closed!"

"Sans!"

"I never get tired of it!"

" You literally just woke up, how and why are you plaguing me with your insufferable puns!"

"Did you hear about the bike that wouldn't work?.. it was two tired!"

"Nyeh! Sans please! My god, I just want to know why you're so exhausted!"

"Alright Papyrus, geez calm down."

"How can I when all I want is your honesty but instead you try to jape me and pun your way out of the situation! I just want a simple answer!"

"Woah, Pap. Ok, I didn't know you were so serious! I just... I had a nightmare last night, about losing you, and then I came down stairs and there was your scarf... I ... I just panicked! I was just paranoid, really I'm okay."

"Oh gosh, Sans. Are you sure you're ok, I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you-"

"Paps, really, I'm fine! I just need to lay off the ketchup before bed, Heh. You're always telling me that it's bad for my head, now I got it's full effects, I won't be doing that again any time soon. So don't you worry bro. I always tell you when something's wrong."

"Alright .. if you're sure."

"I am. Now please tell me we have spaghetti, I'm all skin and bones!"

"... I thought we were having a moment, but sure I'll have spaghetti ready for when you come down."

"Thanks bro"

And with that Sans was left in the room  alone. He release a breath he never knew he was holding and flopped back in to the warmth of his brothers bed.

'Welp, that could have been worse, good job Sansy. Crisis averted'.