•COSMOPOLITAN MAGAZINE•

FIRE & SUNLIGHT—MACKENZIE BENNETT AND LEVI REYNOLDS FULL-ACCESS

๏๏๏๏๏

Mackenzie Bennett and Levi Reynolds are two completely different people, each with their own way of thinking, behaving, and responding. To any other person they would seem incapable of getting along. But in reality, they are two of the closest friends.

Sitting down with the two women, right away it was clear that they were completely in sync with each other.

•••••••

So, how long have you two known each other?
Levi: Since we were thirteen. We actually met briefly when we were—
Mackenzie: Ironically as fuck, in the Broadway musical 13. But we just saw each other for like, two seconds.

How did you meet officially?
Levi: I cannot forget the day I met her. It was the first day of filming and we were all trying to get to know each other, and then just randomly she came up and said to me, "You smell like candy." And I'm like "Like chocolate or like gummy bears?" And she immediately started dying of laughter.
Mackenzie: I thought it was so funny because she took it so seriously, like it was something huge to consider. I was just trying to make conversation. I said, "I was just trying to talk! Damn, you took it so seriously!" And then we both started laughing.

How did you both find out that you each could sing?
Levi: That's a funny story. So, it was on one of our breaks, and I went up to Mackie—
Mackenzie: She had more balls back then.
Levi: Not helping, not relevant, so shut up. Anyway, I said to her, "Why'd you get cast as Jade?"
Mackenzie: And I'm like, "What?"
Levi: And then I said, "The show is cast for gifted artists, and I don't know if just acting fits Jade's character so well."
Mackenzie: Then I took a deep breath and started singing Fallin' by Alicia Keys, and this bitch's face is just like [mimicks a jaw drop]. But I had no idea that Cat sang, either, so when she started singing with me— [gestures towards Levi]
Levi: [also mimicks a jaw drop].

How is it that such a drastic difference in personality actually makes you get along better? Most would say that it would make you butt heads.
Mackenzie: It's about making it work and just going with it. Playing on each other's strengths and weaknesses, you know? Like, I keep her from going insane.
Levi: And I keep her from going to prison.
Mackenzie: Pretty much.

What's it been like to grow up as a kid star?
Levi: I know a lot of people who struggle with that part of themselves, like its something they have to get rid of as they grow older. It's not. But you can't let it control what you do with the rest of your career. For me, acting is a part of me, but I've always loved music more.
Mackenzie: I'm like, "Fuck all of y'all, I'm out."