Chapter XXIII

Livia

I gawked at Valak warily when he finished telling me everything that he's been keeping from me. He explained how demons and nosferatu have waged a war and the attack on one of his regions. To say I felt bad was an understatement. I've been demanding his attention and making things harder for him while he's had to deal with all of this practically on his own.

"Um--" Was all that I could muster at the moment.

His explanation for keeping me locked here wasn't exactly justified, but it was understandable. Valak's nature makes him overprotective, so now that he's about to go into war, protecting me is a big priority for him.

He smiled weakly then rubbed his hands down his face. He didn't physically look tired, but I could tell he was exhausted mentally. I scooted closer to his slouched form and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"I'm sorry I'm so bitchy." I grumbled into his shoulder. He chose the safe route by chuckling instead of replying.

"Livia, you are literally perfect." He said wrapping his arms around mine that were still holding his hard torso.

"I'm not perfect, babe." I giggled. A low sound that could almost be described as a growl, but not quite, left his chest. It sounded more like purring.

Why does he do that? I thought vampires were more human than animal and that lycanthrope were the animalistic ones. But Valak always seemed to express characteristics that made me doubt what he's been telling me.

"God, I don't wanna leave you, even if it is only for a few days." He confessed, his face dropping to my neck and he placed a soft kiss there.

"Let me go with you." I suggested.

"Absolutely not."

"Why--"

"Because it's too dangerous." He said with finality.

I sighed and held him tighter, "You'll keep me safe." I whispered into his ear before placing a kiss under it. Yep, I'm going for the temptress approach. I continued kissing his skin until he pulled his face from my neck with a raised brow.

"Are you trying to seduce me?" He asked amusedly.

I forged confusing, "What? No." I dragged the O. He rose his brow a little higher.

"You almost had me there for a moment, you little nymph." He chuckled. I smiled innocently as he unlocked his arms from my waist.

"When will you be back?" I asked.

"Hopefully by Wednesday." I frowned, but it was only five days, that isn't so bad I guess.

"It doesn't sound safe to go to a place that was destroyed by your enemies." I said as he stood.

Was he really going to leave so soon?

"It may not be, but my people need me. If there's any chance of survivors, I have to rescue them."

I gazed up at him in awe. He seems like a humble king that would do anything to ensure the safety of his people.

"I will be putting a few guardians outside of your suite for protection. If you wish to go out, just let them know."

I watched as he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a brand new cellphone.

"Lilith, Orcus, and my number is programmed in your new phone already. There's also an emergency number under ICE that will contact your guardians."

He held out the phone that I gladly took.

"Um, thank you." I said. I casted my eyes upward to his dark ones.