Chapter XL

Two weeks later

Valak

I dodged a swinging fist, and tripped another opponent in the process. After swiftly taking my defensive stance, I grabbed the nearest weapon on the ground and pointed it at the neck of the opponent I had recently dodged who was in the midst of his comeback. He froze, stopping just meters from the blades point.

"You're dead." I stated, "All of you!" I shouted among the many creatures who volunteered to take me on. The large group manage to land a few fists during our brawl, but none were able to slow me down.

"You're all either too focused on hitting me, or dodging attacks. You should be calculating what your body can handle. If you can take the blow, take it. You'll know your opponents strength, and be able to counter-attack from that."

I noticed a few head nods. Good, the warriors were noting my advice.

"You work as one, not individuals. Not all of you will be able to take down a fallen one alone. They think our greatest weakness is our lack of strength, but a thread is made weak until it is linked with others to make a strong rope." A few cheers rose from the growing crowd of warriors.

"Valak." I turned to where I heard my name being called. Cyrus stood a few feet away in sportswear, and a long, blonde braid that rested on her shoulder.

"Yes?"

"Many of my warriors refuse to fight in the upcoming battle. I apologize for not raising a more noble alliance." Her voice was filled with guilt and disappointment.

"Their refusal isn't your doing. None are required to join my fight. The warriors of yours who joined are more than I could've asked for." I said truthfully. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting as many to join. I underestimated the numbers of wolves that would bind themselves into my army.

"I'm glad the odds are to your liking. How's training on your end?" She asked. The closing distance between our bodies didn't go unnoticed. Cyrus had been sending mixed signals lately on whether she wanted to keep this relationship professional or not. Reading thoughts, other than Livia's, was difficult. Only mere phrases, or images were awarded by my efforts to read one's mind.

"They're learning... slowly." I muttered the last part.

"They seem to be getting the hang of working together." I nodded in agreement.

"Next week, we're rotating groups. I already told the others."

"Okay, we'll, I've gotta go. See you around." Cyrus rambled before leaving my presence.

My beast let out a heavy sigh, followed by inconceivable grumbles. I chuckled, We'll facetime Livia tonight, how does that sound, boy? I teased, only making it snap at me mentally.

My smugness was cut short when Xavier came into my line of sight. His short blond hair was damp from sweat, making it appear light brown. He was shirtless as usual, the guardian barely knew what a shirt was.

"How's your group?" I asked.

"They're doing okay, I've just been trying to strengthen their weakest areas." He reported. I nodded in understanding.