Chapter XXVII

Valak and I sat in his Porsche silently as he drove. As soon as Cornelius casted the protection spell, he practically dragged me out of that club. Even after I asked if we could enjoy ourselves there for a little while. I felt like I wasted all of that time doing my makeup and getting all dressed up.

"Where are we going?" I finally asked.
"To the estate." Valak grumbled.

I frowned, "Can't we do something before we go back?"

Valak remained quiet. He didn't even offer a reaction that indicated he was listening. Great, he's ignoring me.

I rolled my eyes and turned to look out of the window. We were surrounded by trees upon trees and snow. I watched the scenery that seemed to play on a loop.

"Where do you want to go?" Valak asked, his voice still laced with irritation.

"No where, let's just go back." My throat swelled up at the thought of going back. I didn't feel like being locked away again today with few things to do. I missed always being busy with school, and oddly enough, work as well. I'm sure some of my coworkers have wondered what happened to me.

I never even contacted my job to let them know I was okay. I felt like such an idiot for never even thinking of such a thing.

"Darling, I wasn't trying to upset you. I'm just wary of what's to come." He confessed.

"I know, I get it. What happened back there anyways? That guy gave me the chills." I shivered at the image of his yellow eyes skimming my body.

"Witches and warlocks are known to have strong libidos. They're very horny creatures. Cornel is no different. If he sees a beautiful woman then he's bound to snap his leash." I nodded, but that wasn't what was bothering me.

"So, um--why did he want to know about... us?" I squeaked out.

Valak visibly grew uncomfortable and ran a hand through his already tousled hair.

"I don't know." He sighed.

The both of us went back to silence for a minute until he spoke again, "I know a place we can visit." He said with a devious smirk.

● ● ●

My jaw dropped when Valak climbed out of the car and opened my door for me.

"You're joking, right?" I nervously chuckled.

"No, love. Come on." He nudged his head toward the creepy, old cemetery behind him.

I hesitantly took his offered hand and stepped out of the car. After removing his suit jacket and placing it on my shoulders, he lead us through the battered gates. I highly regretted wearing heels while there was easily at least four inches of snow on the ground. My toes were soaked, along with the hem of my dress that dragged along.

"Valak, how far are we going?" I huffed. I was cold and tired of walking in heels already. This isn't exactly what I meant when I said I wanted to go somewhere.

I clamped my mouth shut when Valak swooped me into his arms bridal style without uttering a single word. I snuggled into his chest that oddly provided me with warmth. He was warmer than humanly possible.

"Mm, why are you so warm?" I groaned into his shirt. His scent engulfed me and I found myself closing my eyes and holding him tighter.

"My body naturally warms itself depending on how cold it is. I don't recall ever being this warm, I'm sure my beast contributed as well."

I tilted my head and was met with his stubble that further defined his sharp jawline. I couldn't help but wanting to kiss it, so I did.

"What do you mean when you say 'beast'?" I questioned quietly. Valak's steps halted for a split second before he started walking again. After a few more minutes of silence, he stopped and placed me on my feet.