Chapter Ten - Shadows in the night

Amethyst woke up - finding herself bound with rope in a strange room. She opened her eyes - adjusting to the one light source over in the corner. Fear gripped her as she realised she knew the room - she had seen it before.

She struggled to sit up - and then she noticed a shadow over in the opposite corner to the light - she tensed, then relaxed as the shadow moved forward. "Theo - what am I doing here?" The figure moved to kneel down next to her and he gently undid her bonds.

"Amethyst, sweetheart I am so sorry - I had to do it, he wanted you back and he would do anything - please forgive me - Amey - please". Amethyst looked at her dear friend, the person who was like a brother to her when she was growing up and the look of sadness on his face and in his eyes broke her heart.

Theo was the only person who had been kind to her - right from when the Comte ordered her to come and live with him. He would bring her soft flannels to stop the bleeding from when the Comte would beat her - and he showed her such gentleness and kindness from the start.

"It was you, you helped me escape didn't you. Did he find out Theo?" Amethyst looked up and saw his eyes were filled with guilt. "Yes he found out - three days after you got away, he told me to get you - he didn't like the closeness with you and that guy - so he ordered me to bring you back or he would hurt him".

Amethyst looked at him, and Theo was surprised to see the fear in her eyes. "You haven't hurt him - Theo please tell me - what did you do to him", tears filled her eyes as she spoke of Luke - and Theo gently held her in his arms.

"Sweetheart - I didn't hurt him, but the Comte ordered me to beat him to a pulp if you refused to come back home - you do know where you are right now?" He moved away - turning on the other lights and to her horror she realised where she was - in the cellar of the Comte's large summer house.

"Theo please - let me go, I cannot stay here - you have to let me go back home- I, I" - she was cut off as footsteps were heard outside. "Oh no Amethyst - you will not be going anywhere - not now, not ever - you are mine - I told you that when you were eight and I am telling you that now - mine to do what I want with - mine to keep you wherever I choose - and if that little pretty boy comes near here - I will kill him" - Amethyst looked at the Comte in fear - all her life she had been scared of him and what he would do.

"In fact, that would be most agreeable if he came here - because then I could kill him in front of you - I could teach you a lesson not to run - not to leave - you will be punished my girl - and that is the best way for me to show you do not cross me ever, come Theo", and with that the two men walked out - locking the cellar door behind them and leaving Amethyst crying on the ground.

Meanwhile Luke had woken, feeling unsettled as if he knew something was wrong. He got up - pulling his favourite t-shirt over his head and walked to the bedroom he had given Amethyst. She wasn't there - but a note was on the table by her bed. He picked it up and read it - I have gone back home - thank you for everything - but please do not come to find me as I am long gone. Goodbye sweetheart.

Luke did not know - but that note had been planted by Theo - who was not someone that Amethyst could trust - not any more as he was in the pay of the Comte - who wanted him to try to find Amethyst, he was trusting on the feelings he had for her to ensure that he would come. And then - Theo knew Luke would be killed - slain by the man who he once called brother!

As he read the note - his eyes filled with pain - as he screwed up the note in his hand - flinging it across the room. She would not do that, she would not leave him - after everything. But where was she.

He called for his horse Destrier to be tacked up and provisions made ready. When asked why - he replied he was going to find his girl and bring her home. The etchings on the letter had given him a clue to where she would be - the writing *North then south then east then north - brings you to the hidden fort, there your beautiful girl will be - but tarry not for time is short* - He hadn't noticed the extra writing - until he had screwed the letter up and seen it.

As he grabbed a map of the area - he followed the directions and found the area where the *hidden fort* would be. Quickly grabbing some warm clothes, drink and food from the kitchens - he headed outside to where his beloved horse was. "Easy my boy - settle down - we are going to find her and bring her home where she belongs".

Quickly - he got into the saddle and with a quick click of his tongue sent Destrier off into a swift canter that he could pace for a few miles. He knew - the journey would take him around 3 days - but he needed to hurry - he needed to find his princess.