Chapter Seventeen - My darling girl

Amethyst lay sleeping as Lee kissed her. "Darling, I think we should go home, we will be safe there, the Comte will not hurt us again". He lifted Amethyst into his arms and cradled her to him, kissing her softly on the lips.

"I am scared to go home, I am scared what he will do now Theo is working for him, baby can we stay here, there's something you have to know my sweetheart, I am" - she was cut off as there was an insistent knock at the door.

"Stay here my darling," he lovingly kissed her as he walked down the stairs to the door, as the knocking continued. He was prepared if it was the Comte - to deal with him, and as he opened the door a frightened young girl stood there".

"Who are you, and what do you want here - go on get out and leave me alone, I do not receive visitors ever" Lee was angry and bewildered but he wanted to protect Amethyst so he knew better than to treat strangers well. 

"Please sir, I need to see you and Amy, I need to warn you, the Comte he is a bad man, he will do anything to get Amy back, he made me - he" - the girl broke down in tears and Amethyst heard the tearful plea as Lee made to send the girl away.

"No, don't hurt her, please darling I think we should listen to what she has to say" Amethyst walked down the stairs and stood between the terrified girl and Lee - whose eyes softened as he saw her.

"Okay, we will listen to you, but if you show any signs of having brought the Comte with you, then you will be out do you understand" he looked between the girl and the woman he loved with fear in his eyes.

"Come with me, what is your name", Amethyst walked quietly over to the girl, who shook as she said her name was Anne, and she was hiding away from the Comte and what he was like. Luke stopped short, remembering he had heard the name Anne before, but he could not place it. 

The three of them walked into the sumptuous dining room where a breakfast was being set out for the 3 of them. They sat, and began to eat - the young girls face losing some of it's paleness. 

"Please sir - I am Anne, at least that is what the Comte called me, I remember nothing before my 12th birthday when he found me and took me in. I was treated like a princess, loved and cherished from that day. He took care of me, until I turned 19 years old. He did not want me, he was so concerned with finding her, the girl he loved. That Amethyst is you".

Luke looked at her, his heart aching for what he knew was coming next. Sure enough Anne continued. "He wanted me to kidnap you Amethyst, he wanted me to bring you back, to carry on what Theo failed to do. I was told to kidnap you when you went out riding, or by yourself to the village". 

"I couldn't do it, I had to run, to escape from him and find you. I have no idea how I found this place, I just needed help and saw your house in the distance. Of course, I did not know it was yours, I felt like I would be safe here, safe like you Amy".

Luke knelt down beside her, holding her hands gently. "Anne, I will take care of you, I will keep you safe, the Comte has ruined so many lives, so many people have lost because of him. I will help you find who you are", he gently kissed her on the cheek then went to Amethyst who was shaking.

"Baby, my darling sweet girl, he will not hurt you or Anne, I know her, somehow I have seen her before and I cannot think where, but she reminds me of someone, Amethyst please look after her and we can find her some warm clothes and she can stay here".

Amethyst looked at Anne and something stirred in her too - where had she seen this girl before. She knew that he was right, she had to be protected. 

"We must hide her somewhere else, the Comte will look for her here - he is dangerous - I do not want you to be hurt - I know somewhere she can be safe and he will not find her there".