Chapter Twelve - Running Free

Destrier stopped outside a large building that Amethyst had not been to before. He gently helped her off his horse and then led him round the back - to a large stable which was attached to 3 acres of paddock. 

He quickly unsaddled his horse - then let him go, hiding the tack in the stable. Once this was done - Luke turned to face Amethyst who had tears in her eyes. "Sweetheart, where are we - what is this place,  I am scared".

He gently moved over to her, cuddling her in his arms and raining kisses all over her face. "Darling, we are safe, I doubt the Comte will ever find you here - he doesn't know about this place, and as long as no-one finds us - we will be safe, one thing is for certain though my sweet angel - is that he will never hurt you again". 

He held her again, so gently, and she burst into tears. "I have never been treated like this by anyone, my whole life after my parents died - no - one cared for me, the Comte and his men didn't, they just used me, until you came along and I know I love you so much".

"And I too my darling, I love you - I will never let him hurt you, or his men - oh baby girl, what did I do to deserve you being in my life, I will protect you - but sweet heart - I want you to promise me that if I tell you to run, you will run, and if I tell you to leave me - you will go".

Amethyst looked at him and nodded. "I will do as you say my love, but I hope we will never be parted, I am so scared that the Comte will find me and take me back - he only wanted to use me, and my sister, I wish I knew where she was, I miss her so much".

Luke went to hug her again, but something made him stop - he could hear a noise. "Darling - go, hide in the stable with Destrier - sweetheart you promised you would go if I told you to - I can hear that noise - and I fear the Comte has found us somehow".

Silently Amethyst ran and hid in the stall next to Destrier's, fear gripped her as she saw Luke reach for a stick that was lying on the ground. She wanted to run out and protect him, but she knew he wanted her to stay safe and hidden. 

He tensed as a figure approached him, dressed in an expensive blue silk cloak and dress, the girl walked up to him. "Brother dear, what a long time since I saw you, don't you remember me, it's your sister Ellie".

Luke stared at the figure - tears filling his eyes, "no you cannot be her, you cannot be Ellie, I was told she died when she was 11, you are lying to me, go, get out of here - go on".

The girl sneered - "Oh no brother dear, I am not leaving, not without the Comte's prize - where is she, go on tell me - or do you love her. Didn't mother and father tell you anything - like do not fall in love with someone else's property".

"She is not here and she is not property, you are not my sister - you are the Comte's mistress - please just get out of here and leave me alone - I do not wish to have you in my presence and you can tell your beloved Comte this too - as he is not man enough to face me, he has to send his minions to do his own work, or are you hiding Comte - come on show yourself and face me, you are a coward that is all".

The girl walked away, straight past where Amethyst hid, luckily she did not realise that she was there. The Comte suddenly walked out from one side of the house - and sneered at Luke, who was shocked that he would face him, but frightened that he would find Amethyst. 

"Do you call me man enough to face you, I think this needs to be resolved and I know she is here - but I am willing to do a deal with you Luke - if you want to keep Amethyst for your own, either fight me and the winner gets her, or you will pay with your life if you lose. I will get her back - no matter what - and if I have to kill you to do this, so be it, what do you say?"

Hearing these words, Amethyst longed to go out and admit to the Comte she was there, but she stopped as he shook his head, saying that he didn't want to fight him, but he wasn't going to let Amethyst go back to the life she had with the Comte.

"Well then sir, we have no choice - we must fight to claim what is rightfully mine - I give you 24 hours - however if you run, I will find you and kill you. Do you know Mattison's ford, that is where I will meet you and you alone in 24 hours. Do not bring her with you, I do not want her hurt and it will destroy her to see you killed. I will not hurt her though, I promise you that, all I want is to be with her and to keep her safe. I love her too, as I know you do", and with that the Comte quickly walked away to where Ellie and their horses stood waiting. 

Once the hoof beats had moved far away, he motioned to Amethyst that she could come out. "Sweetheart, please I don't want you to fight him, darling you must let me go back and then no harm will come to you. I don't want to see you hurt or killed, sweetheart please listen to me", she burst into tears and he held her in his arms, soothing her. 

He gently took her hand and led her into the house that they were going to stay in, and he led her up to the bedroom he had set out for her,  he lay her in the bed and kissed her. "Please, stay with me - darling don't go away tonight or tomorrow, I need you to be with me - I can't let you go and fight him, please".

He softly kissed her on the lips, and held her as she fell asleep, feeling safe and protected for the first time in her life. He lay next to her, holding her in his arms and as they both slept - they wondered what tomorrow would bring.