03 Family (Part 2)

Behind the temple was the memorial, a small clearing in the forest that was dedicated to the gravestones of all former temple guardians who had once served their Moon God. The memorial was a few centuries old, and the living temple guardians sought to preserve it.

Maeyune and Lyn stood before a stone that was carved with the name High Priestess Ayla Ereni. It was a place that Maeyune frequented to ponder the answers to her unanswerable questions.

"Your mother was sixteen when she left home to join the temple guardians here," Lyn began. "Who would have known that Shivra would choose her to ascend to High Priestess?"

Maeyune watched as Lyn placed a single rose above the stone. "And then your father came and stole her heart," Lyn said. "Her love for the Moon God was forsaken."

"Am I her punishment?" Maeyune asked, her heart squeezing. She knew her mother had died shortly after giving birth to her.

Lyn looked at her with sad eyes. "No, of course not, Mae," she replied. She touched Maeyune's cheek. "When your father died, your mother begged the heavens to protect you. Shivra listened and offered her his soul. He gave her a second chance by giving you his life. You are her second chance."

As a result of containing the god's life force inside her, Maeyune had the ability to see into the mind. Lyn had occasionally shared with Maeyune memories of her mother.

Through her aunt's eyes, Maeyune knew what her mother had looked like and who she had been. She knew that her mother and her aunt shared little in personality.

Where Ayla had been calm and adventurous, Lyn was stubborn and strong-willed.

Maeyune studied her beloved aunt, who stood several inches shorter with chin-length black hair that had begun to gray. Lyn's face was lined with years of restless worry and stubbornness, but her brown eyes shined with character. Despite her aging body, Lyn continued to stand tall.

Lyn faced Ayla's gravestone again. Maeyune's mind slowly turned to the evening's events, and she remembered the meeting with King Chiyan and his advisors.

"Emna," Maeyune said. "His Majesty is planning on signing an alliance treaty with the Beran Council."

Her aunt's reaction was as much as she had expected: surprise, with a flicker of relief.

"Oh, thank the heavens," Lyn sighed. She paused for a moment, anticipation on her face. "Does that mean...?"

Maeyune nodded hesitantly. "I will be seeing him soon."

"How soon?"

"In a week's time," Maeyune replied. "That is when the treaty will be signed. King Chiyan is sending me and the others to Bera."

She watched the color fade from her aunt's face. "A week?" Lyn repeated. "That is so soon."

"The attack this morning must have pushed his decision," Maeyune said.

"You will be so far away across the ocean..."

Maeyune blinked at Lyn. It took her a mere second to see the concern behind her aunt's eyes. Although her mother had been lost to the heavens, her aunt was as much a mother to her.

"This is what we have always wanted, emna Lyn," she said. "Me to finally meet the Sun Goddess incarnate and to join this fight."

Lyn nodded. "Yes. Yes, you are right," she said. She took Maeyune's hand.

"We have much planning to do," Lyn continued, haste in her voice. "You will need to look your best in front of the Council and the sun warrior."