19 Diamonds

Tin gasped

Tin gasped. "Ah, Miss Ereni, I was looking for you!"

Maeyune did not have a chance to respond. She observed the stern twist on the general's face. But when General Soras considered the two folders sitting on the table, the wrinkles on his forehead slanted as he raised an eyebrow.

"Researching?" he questioned.

Maeyune bowed. "Yes, General."

He nodded, expression shaped in thought. "If you could please excuse us," he said, with the implication of needing the room.

"Of course, General."

Tin reached for the files, taking the responsibility of returning them. "Ah, a moment, Miss Ereni?" he called before she left. "If you could meet with me tomorrow afternoon at the lab, there is something important we must discuss."

The glare in his round spectacles seemed to represent the shine in his eyes. There was a broad grin on his face, and his shoulders were wound tight. He was a cluster of excitement. She found it curious how he could even refrain from revealing his important information right then and there.

Reo joined Maeyune in the hall. As the door closed behind them, they heard Soras begin rather irritably, "Now, what was that about a banana?"

Maeyune and Reo exchanged puzzled glances. Given the peculiar interruption, she was unsure whether or not to continue their prior conversation.

But he did so before her.

"Look," he started. "We just need to work together to destroy the Iron Prophet, regardless of what happened in the past."

She narrowed her eyes at him. Work together? Oh, is that what he wants to do now?

It was his past that had shaped who he was today and had induced a corruption in Yunra's life force. He didn't trust her with the facts behind his past. But in the end, she decided it wasn't her concern anymore to ascertain the details.

"Very well," she replied objectively.

She turned on her heels. She was ready to leave him without another word, when he called after her.

"You've lived a sheltered life. I can't expect you to understand," he said. "I'm not perfect like you."

A darkness fastened its hold over her heart. She came to an abrupt halt, her back to him.

Perfect?

Fatigued by the secrets that stalked her, she spoke without hesitation.

"About those first five people who ever connected with my mind," she began. "They did not leave that room alive."

Maeyune then turned to him, attentive of the surprise that bloomed on his face. She continued, "I melted everything in their heads before anyone could stop me."