51 Vaius (Part 2)

Reo turned away from her and leaned his hands on a supply crate. He bowed his head in dismay, and already, she wanted his charm back. "I wish there was something more I could do," he said.

"Reo, you are doing everything you can."

She moved to stand beside him and laid a hand over his, as if to claim some of the weight of his pain. She gave his fingers a light squeeze. "All we can do now is to keep fighting. A wise warrior once told me that 'we're in this together now.' You should remember that advice."

"Wise, huh?" he said. The tip of his lips quirked. "Is he good-looking, too?"

That wicked smile of his—why was it all of a sudden so intoxicating?

"I think he already knows the answer to that," she replied, mirroring his smirk. "Though, he looks every bit exhausted right now, and I want him to rest."

Snaking an arm around her waist, he pulled her body flush against his. He pressed his lips to her brow in a kiss that was short and sweet. "He'll be alright."

His breath and the hair on his face tickled her skin, and she wanted nothing but to sink into his embrace. It was strange and yet visceral to feel this close to him. No one had ever shown her such open affection like he did, and it woke something warm and glowing inside her. But it also made her concern for him that much more dire.

"I am serious," she said. "How do you intend to defend this base if you can hardly stand? Do you have a private room?"

His head jerked back an inch so that he could see her face. He cocked an eyebrow. She realized a moment too late the wrong words she'd asked.

"Yes, very private," he murmured. "Thick walls and a door made out of steel. It also has this thing called a lock. The bed's a little small, but I think we can make it work."

A wave of heat crossed her skin, and she gave into the compulsion to smack his arm. "By the gods, Reo! I meant to ask if you had somewhere to sleep in peace?"

He saw the color rising up her neck and smiled. "I do. Would you like to see?"

The blush deepened.

They were both aware of how far they'd been willing to take things outside on the grass. The prospect of experiencing that again sent an ache through her.

But reality snapped its leash, forcing her to return to the present. She drew her hand from his, inadvertently glancing over her shoulder at the door. She imagined some poor soul stumbling across both the moon and sun warriors dallying in a closet.

What a sight that would be.

"We should at least get out of here," she said meekly.

He loosened his hold for her to move, and the door slid aside to grant her exit. Out in the open, her hands made the unconscious motion of straightening her clothes for the sake of decency. Reo followed after her, nonchalant. Thankfully, there was not a soul in sight to witness them emerge together from the tiny enclosure.

Reo started down the tunnel without a word, his hands in his pockets as if he were out for a stroll. He offered her a boyish smile.

"The councilwoman did order us to rest, right?" he said.

Failing to quell her blush for the hundredth time, she said nothing and fell into stride with him, just as activity appeared around them. Several celestials strode past, nodding greetings and wearing mildly suspicious expressions.

Maeyune watched them as they strode by. Out of politeness, their eyes fell away from hers. Was there something in the air that broadcasted the emotions between her and Reo?