10 Tantalize

Eventually, Maeyune found herself lost in the winding halls of the base

Eventually, Maeyune found herself lost in the winding halls of the base. But when she came across a grassy courtyard that displayed a statue of a giantess, she forgot why she had been wandering the halls in the first place.

Like the Moon God, the monument of the Sun Goddess arrested Maeyune's attention. Unlike her calm moon counterpart, however, Yunra's fierce eyes were narrowed at the heavens, and her smiling expression inspired determination. Where the Moon God held his aegis shield, the Sun Goddess wielded upright between her bare feet a broadsword. Its massive crossguard was a gallant display of two interwoven dragons.

Yunra was garbed in a slim, long dress gathered at the waist under an ornate belt. Her long hair fell in thick waves behind her back, and her robust antlers pointed high above her head.

"Spectacular, isn't she?"

Maeyune turned as Deiyu entered the courtyard. His hands were folded behind his back and his eyes directed at the statue.

She regarded the Sun Goddess again. "Yes," Maeyune replied. It was hard now, trying to see the golden goddess inside the young man who appeared as if he trailed fire.

Deiyu came to stand beside her. "How was dinner?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary," she said, forsaking small talk. "You were away with General Soras for quite some time."

"Discussing your training before we can make plans of attack," he answered. His directness was as relaxed as hers. "You and Aegis Team will be working with Tin in the morning to run a few tests in comparison to Mr. Castell. You may have a chance to duel him tomorrow."

Maeyune's eyebrows rose in surprise. "A duel?" she repeated.

Deiyu's lips presented a confident smile. "Concerned?"

"No, I am not." It was the truth. At least, she was sure it was.

"Maeyune," he continued, taking a few steps closer. "I must remind you that it would be in Suolan's best interest if you did not reveal your full power tomorrow."

Agitation slithered across her skin, but she chose to remain poised. "Lies will only keep us all separated when we should be working together," she said carefully.

"And truths will take advantage of your abilities," he answered, "and can cause more harm than good."

She looked at him, anticipating the meaning behind his words. But he did not return her gaze. Years of them training together had taught him that unspoken thoughts were a powerful weapon. It hurt her to think that he couldn't trust her not to read his mind.

"Deiyu..." she began, but did not know how to continue.

She wanted to ask him what had happened between them. She wanted to understand it, that sensation that had once burned inside her and had forged an unfathomable longing to see him. In her life of endless training and responsibility, being with him had been one of the few moments where she had felt a strange and different kind of happiness.