57 Legends

It took the day after for the world to rise again

The Golden City of Bresnia was a picture of destruction, but local businesses had begun restoration efforts.

It was in the morning following the final battle when Maeyune at last received word from Suolan.

The royal family had survived the invasion. But both the Ursan celestial base and the Ursa First temple had been destroyed, along with the Silver City. Thousands in Suolan had lost their lives. As small as the kingdom was, the energy in the land was now frailer than ever.

When Aunt Lyn leapt off one of the transport buses brimming with survivors, Maeyune held her for what felt like a lifetime. Waterfalls of tears soaked the woman's face, but her smile was a beacon.

She passed a small transmission device into Maeyune's hands. "Jorin wants to talk to you," she said with a wry grin.

Maeyune drew a quiet gasp. "He's still alive?"

Lyn only snorted, but smiled and nodded anyway.

Maeyune accepted the device and pressed its center button to answer the waiting call. The small screen expanded above the callset. The hologram revealed a man who appeared to have aged considerably over the months that she'd been away from Suolan. His right arm was in a cast, and his wrinkles were deeper than she remembered. But when he saw her on the receiving end, he closed his eyes and released a breath. She could hear the strain leave his body.

Maeyune felt a choke in her throat. "Master."

"I am most happy to know that you are alive, Maeyune," Master Jorin said.

She smiled, her eyes watering. "And I am happy to know you are safe."

It was one of the rarest occasions of familial love that they'd ever shown each other. Jorin cleared his throat, and his face resumed its usual countenance—albeit a little less stern.

"King Chiyan requests your return," he continued.

Maeyune felt some of her joy dissipate. "When?"

He noted the change in her face and said regretfully, "Tomorrow. He has already spoken with the Beran councilwoman. You, your team, and Commander Lin will depart from Bera tomorrow morning." He waited a few seconds before adding in a softer tone, "Your people miss you."

Return home. Rejoin her people.

Leave Bera. Leave Reo.

Every second that passed made it more difficult for her to accept.

She nodded, the movement unsteady. "Yes, Master." After a brief hesitation, she said, "Master, if—I would like to request a few more days here, at least until I've said all my farewells."

Jorin watched her for a moment. "Granted. In three days time, a plane will be there to gather you. I will notify His Majesty." He smiled. "Safe travels, Maeyune. We will see you soon."