31 Shadow

Even as the sun chased the moon across the heavens, it still could not expel the shadow from Maeyune's soul

Even as the sun chased the moon across the heavens, it still could not expel the shadow from Maeyune's soul. Dawn slashed the gloomy azure in red and revealed the horrendous devastation of the Golden City.

Smoke clouds continued their ascent from Bresnia. When Maeyune and the others returned to the Bresnian Celestial Base for debriefing, her eyes absently heeded the fume colonnade in the distance.

She stepped off the transport craft after day broke, hardly absorbing the sight of the celestial facility and its partial destruction. She was ready to retreat into the facility, when she discovered a familiar, warm face waiting among the wreckage.

Seeing her aunt reminded Maeyune of the pain she thought she had left behind in Bresnia. It was everything she could do to hold back the sting in her eyes.

Lyn said nothing as she wrapped her arms around her niece.

Reo watched as Maeyune and her aunt embraced. He stopped the rest of her team before they joined her.

"What happened back there?" he asked Meera. "What happened to Maeyune?"

The water celestial's eyes were red from weeping. She looked about ready to burst into tears again.

"I told you," she muttered, averting her wet eyes. "She changes."

Meera said no more and stalked off.

Clover came to stand beside Reo, his gaze hovering on Maeyune. "Where there is light, there will be shadow," he added carefully. He narrowed his eyes at Reo. "You of all people should know that."

Together, he and Aerylis followed after Meera. Maeyune's aunt took each of them into her arms, and after a few words exchanged, the remainder of Aegis Team returned inside.

 Maeyune's aunt took each of them into her arms, and after a few words exchanged, the remainder of Aegis Team returned inside

Since the Wobeck first began their attack, all long distance air travel had ceased. Like many others, Aunt Lyn had no other choice but to remain in Bera. Hundreds of survivors were relocated to temporary homes in Beran cities that war had left untouched. Despite her aunt's reluctance, Maeyune had managed to get Lyn to go with them.