55 Divinity (Part 1)

The tall alien stood with four of his own soldiers, each donning their formidable black armor

The tall alien stood with four of his own soldiers, each donning their formidable black armor. They aimed their plasma rifles, and the Overlord held his palm out to the side. His scimitar appeared in his hand, the blade coated in a violet aura.

Plasma flew through the air. Clover shifted in front of Meera. A plane of energy emerged from his fingers to act as a shield.

Before returning fire, Maeyune pressed the button on her earpiece. "Sierra Team under fire! We've engaged--"

Another ball of energy skimmed past her head, cutting her off.

"Sierra Team, repeat? What's your status?"

Her bullets found their mark, and she watched as one of the Wobeck tumbled over the edge of the walkway. Then, the Wobeck leader leapt into the air, arching down toward her.

She heard Meera's voice both in her ear and in her earpiece. "The Overlord!" cried the water celestial. "He's here!"

Maeyune tossed her rifle aside and leapt into the air. She needed to keep the Overlord as far away from her friends as possible. Energy bubbled across her skin, and she felt warm metal cascade down her body. By the time she encountered the sapphire alien in the middle, her sword appeared in hand, and she met his blade with an ear-splitting clash.

They drifted in the air for several long seconds, their metal wavering as either side attempted to overcome the other. He had forgone his helmet. She could see his confusion and surprise in his humanoid eyes.

"You surprise me, Lehrach Gu'al," he said. "We destroyed your moon, and yet you still managed to retain some of your strength. I supposed that was the Sun Guardian's doing?"

Maeyune forced them apart. They flew to opposite ends of the spherical room, their feet landing against the wall. She surveyed her friends, both of whom had momentarily abandoned the bomb to confront the three remaining Wobeck.

She hurled her sword, and it passed through the chests of all three Wobeck. The moment her sword returned to her hand, the Overlord launched himself at her.

She expected to be prepared when he collided into her, but the force of his attack sent them both flying through the metal wall behind her.

He pinned her in front of him as they tore through wall after wall. Each wall was a blow against her back. Her celestial armor withstood the damage, despite the pain inflicted against her.

She managed to break from his hold and spun them around, this time forcing him to bear the damage as they flew through another wall--only to find that they'd torn through the harvester ship and out into open sky.

She stared as planes zipped past.

Below the gray gloom, dark objects littered the sky. Human and Wobeck aircrafts engaged in elemental and plasma warfare. She had a moment to ponder the battle before she caught the gleam of sapphire armor hurtling toward her.