Epilogue

Four months had passed since the moon warrior left the land of the sun and returned home

Four months had passed since the moon warrior left the land of the sun and returned home. The Suolani continued to refer to her as their moon warrior, for she would forever retain the title as the girl who'd carried their Moon God.

A new Beran Council had formed, of which Lyn had heard the eldest Castell son was now a member. Councilor Daylana Hart had been accepted by the people as Head Councilor of Bera. And now, Suolan shimmered in celebration of the union between Commander Deiyu and Princess Shana.

Lyn found her niece at her usual nightly appointment, in the palace garden at the open ledge in the wall. Lyn drew up her skirts and tread across new pavement, marveling at the restoration efforts the celestials had shown. Many land celestials had volunteered to travel from Bera to aid in Suolan's rebirth. Several had not yet returned home, as the land and culture had enraptured them. It was quiet in the garden, save for the thousands who crowded the palace streets below.

Her niece's gaze was on the moon, its few remaining pieces still hovering in the night sky. Lyn caught a glimpse of a silver dragon before it swam through dark clouds and vanished.

She then observed the empty benches in the garden. There were no large bodies snoring atop the stone. There was no tall shadow leaning against a cherry tree, listening to the wind. There was no incessant chatter, no floating orbs of water. Maeyune stood alone, her back to the shadows of the garden, but her face to the light of the city.

Lyn felt a tug deep in her heart, but she smiled with hope.

She passed the statue of Shivra, rebuilt anew, and then saw the twisting bubble of water in front of Maeyune. The water contorted, and for a few seconds, it transformed into something resembling a serpentine glob with uneven legs.

It was a frightening beast.

Hearing Lyn approach, Maeyune mumbled, "Meera was always the best at these. I don't know how she did it."

Her water disappeared, and together, she and Lyn regarded the crowd on the palace streets. They contemplated in silence for a long while before Lyn spoke.

"When I watched them destroy the moon," she said, "I could have sworn my heart shattered, too. I thought nothing would hurt more than that, or watching your mother die, or watching you leave me as you went to war. But then I realized, there is something else that continues to destroy me, and that is seeing the last of my family alone."

Maeyune smiled at her. "I still have you, emna Lyn."

"Bah!" Lyn exclaimed. "I'm just an old woman who needs babies to spoil. When will you give them to me?"

Maeyune laughed, and Lyn rejoiced in hearing such a happy sound. For weeks now, Lyn had noticed the frequency of Maeyune's laughter.

That boy had done that to her.

From her pocket, Maeyune drew out the personal callset she'd obtained for herself a short while ago. Lyn caught the flicker of sadness on Maeyune's face before the device returned to its pocket.

"When did you last hear from him?" Lyn said.

"Yesterday morning," Maeyune said. Then, smiling away the expression of heartache, she went on, "I'm sure his hands are tied now with the new Council. His brother has been elected Councilor of his state. We think he will serve as one of his brother's personal guard, if not the military."

Lyn curled her mouth in thought. "Oh?" she uttered. "In the same way His Majesty hopes to appoint you as his new and youngest Master of War?"

Jorin was prepared to retire from the role, and Maeyune was the king's ideal candidate to replace him. Lyn watched Maeyune's face grow solemn.

"There are many things I want to do before I can accept His Majesty's offer," Maeyune said.

"Such as?"

The smile returned. "I want to see the world."

"So, when will you be seeing him again?"

"Soon, emna," Maeyune said. "I can ask him tonight after Deiyu's ceremony."

When her niece said nothing more and returned to spectating the crowd, Lyn wrinkled her nose. She'd had enough of Maeyune's patience. If Lyn needed to take action into her own hands, then so be it.

She glanced over her shoulder. As per her instructions, a tall figure waited beside Shivra's statue, leaning a shoulder against the base, with hands in pockets and ankle over the other. The garden's lights illuminated his broad shoulders and head of dark hair, which had grown longer these past four months. Light danced over his golden-olive skin and highlighted his young, chiseled features.

Lyn had been his first contact since he'd arrived to Suolan an hour ago. With the king's help, she had managed to obtain a private aerial escort for him to avoid the royal wedding festivities.

A slow, secret smile spread across his lips. Once upon a time, Lyn had frowned upon such devilish charm. But it was devilish charm that had once brought her sister happiness, and had now given her beloved niece those dreamlike smiles.

When Lyn had first met him in Bera, she had known that this boy would be the difference.

So handsome, Lyn thought as she returned his smile.

She leaned toward her niece and whispered, "There is no need to wait."

Lyn nodded in the direction behind Maeyune, the gesture forcing the latter to turn. She witnessed the shock that transformed her niece. Like sunrise, a bright gloss appeared and covered Maeyune's eyes, melting away that stern gaze of a hardened warrior. It turned her into the young woman Lyn had always wanted to see--a daughter who had given herself to love.

In the distance, the city's clock struck the evening hour of eight, and the bell began to chime.

"It is time, Maeyune," Lyn spoke.

Behind her, the crowd at the palace steps began their thunderous roar. As her niece ran forward into waiting arms, warm laughter filled the air.

It most certainly was time for life.

.

.

.

.

.