41 Wish (Part 1)

The evening wind was cool against Maeyune's skin

The evening wind was cool against Maeyune's skin. It carried the scent of floral musk to her nose, filling her nostrils and reminding her that summer was near. She also caught a whiff of her favorite perfume that she wore--fresh linen and the faintest tinge of citrus.

Her senses of touch and smell had come first in the ocean of darkness. Next, she regained her ability to hear.

An orchestra of cheers grew louder in the pitch black, increasing in volume as if by the turn of a knob. The sounds pulled at her like hands pulling at a tether, beseeching her to open her eyes and witness the music.

And when she opened her eyes at last, white light blinded her, frightening away the rest of the lingering shadows in her mind. When she could finally see again, she took in the brilliance of ivory and silver in front of her.

Tall, pale-stoned buildings rose high against the night sky, painting the acclaimed skyline of Ursa. The Silver City emitted a soft glow from its thousands of luminescent city lamps. It was always far more beautiful a night. Its previous kings and its architects had aspired to build a capital that radiated like the moon's sacred light.

Clouds of confetti flecked the air, shrouding the city in color. Below the glittering paper, the city streets surged as hundreds of Suolani danced and applauded to music. On the city's central street, the people all faced one direction: the stairs that led up to the silver palace. And at the top of the stairs, standing before the palace doors, was Maeyune.

The Suolani people were waving and chanting one name--her name.

"Princess Maeyune!" they exclaimed. "Princess Maeyune!"

With a smile on her face, she lifted her hand and waved.

Her memory came to her eventually. She remembered the words that had been spoken aloud only a moment ago. It was the reason why her people and her city celebrated now.

"I now proclaim you husband and wife," had been the announcement a few seconds before the explosion of confetti.

She felt someone next to her lean toward her ear to whisper, "Your people love you, Your Highness."

She turned and found Deiyu beside her, whose dark eyes sparkled from the city lights. Her smile widened as she took in the sight of her new husband.

He was exactly what she had pictured him to be. Underneath the palace lanterns, his black uniform bore its own shimmer, complimenting his slim and tall body. His black hair was trimmed, the way she knew he liked it. He was always the illustration of a proper gentleman, and it was his flawlessness that she found herself drawn to.

Since they were children, she'd dreamed of this day, of being his bride, of being that princess that he wanted to cherish and protect. And now, that day had finally come to pass. They were wed, and he would be hers forever.