No Elbows On The Table

Chapter 25///
No Elbows On The Table

I swirled my spoon around my bowl mindlessly. I'd been waiting for my parents in the dining hall for around 45 minutes now.

I tried to order my food ahead of time, but the chef insisted that I wait for our guests to arrive before serving the food.
No one was here to keep me busy since Erik ditched me to go to the bathroom a little while ago.

I honestly believe that he's avoiding me since he barely acknowledged my presence. Even if he was being truthful, how long does he need to take a shit?

My thoughts were interrupted by over exaggerated laughter, and the door to the room being swung open by one of Erik's servants.

"As you can see, this is the area we'll be dining in," announced my boss, "And it looks like your daughter has arrived on time."

I gave him a pointed look after he pulled out a chair for my mother, Blythe.

"I apologize for the delay, Miss Markham. I was giving your parents—and their guest— a tour of the facility."

I dismissed the man's weak apology with a wave my hand diverted my attention to the menu that had just been placed in front of me. A rather robust woman appeared behind Hank, and Erik helped her get situated as well. I had never seen that woman in my life, but I didn't dwell on that fact because I was about to get some answers very soon.

I was in the mood for something hearty, like a good ol' juicy steak, but I also wanted to have decorum whilst I ate in front of my annoying family. That meant no lip smacking or animalistic chewing.

I settled for chicken alfredo and vegetable soup with a glass of wine.

After everyone had decided what they wanted to eat, there was an awkward silence.

"Honey! We've missed you so much! Why haven't you kept into contact with us?" my mother piped up, anticipating my answer.

I knew they could give a shit less about my well-being. They only wanted to connect with me to keep up their innocent world image.

"I've been busy lately, getting my life in order. I don't know how many times I have to remind you guys that I'm an adult."

"Your brothers and sisters have been asking about you, too," my father added.

"Oh really? Well tell them that I don't sleep with a night light anymore, and I've finally learned how to make something other than PB&J!"

That caused a chorus of short lived laughter to erupt at the table. I wanted to keep a light mood going despite my strong hatred for 3/4 of the people currently seated in front of me.

I'm a mature and sophisticated individual— as of now, that is.

"Although I'm not too happy about you being secretive, I think that you making a living completely on your own has shaped you into a beautiful young woman," my mother sighed dreamily. I visibly cringed at her words. How cheesy could she be?

It was time for Hank to start up a long overdue, parent-child conversation. "So how are you liking your new job?"

I don't know what Erik told them about his company, so I went with the most general job position I could think of. Clearing my throat, I said, "Everything's grand. I've really developed passion for business analytics... Just like my grandfather." I added that last bit just for good measure.