Home Sweet Home

Chapter 28/// Home Sweet Home

A crash startled me awake. The noise appeared to be coming from downstairs.

As my eyes surveyed the area for an item that could be used as a weapon, I realized that I was laying in my old room at my parents' mansion.

How the hell did I get here?

With slow, determined steps, I made my way through the marbled hallways, my brother's metal baseball bat in hand. The house was in tip top condition, but it's obvious that an intruder would be able to hear movement from ground level if I wasn't cautious.

I shivered as the cool tile underfoot racked through my bones. I was not prepared to start up a fight.

Peeking around the banister of the spiral staircase, I managed to get a glimpse of the culprit. There stood a dark clad figure with a sledgehammer, doing away with any and every thing in sight. Our curved 90 inch TV was demolished, along with all the paintings that adorned the walls. The leather sectional had also been slashed, it's insides scattered about the ground. The man was currently throwing continuous blows at the marble statue nearby, eventually causing the figure's head to slowly roll towards my feet.

My breathing ceased as the man stopped what he was doing and turned around. I could only hope he hadn't noticed my presence.

As it turns out, I was completely wrong. The unidentified figure was aware of my being there. He walked right up to my huddled form and dragged me by the collar of my shirt to the center of the living room. With a sinister grin, he removed the ski mask from his face.

"E-Erik? W-What are you doing here?"

"I believe you already know the answer to that question," he replied.

Before he could react, I raised the bat high over my head and brought it back down against Erik's skull. He clattered to the ground in response, but I didn't stop there. I repeatedly struck the man with the equipment, so there would be no chance of him waking back up again.

I kept on delivering blows to his head until I collapsed to the ground in exhaustion. After a little while, I walked over to Erik's still form and kicked him to make sure he was dead.

"Who's the winner now, bitch!" I spat in his face.

I was just about to leave the house to call for help, until I heard a nearly inaudible chuckle.

"Nice try."

I gasped as Erik gripped my ankles and brought me down beside him. I let out a blood curdling scream as the sledgehammer came towards my face at full force...

I woke with a start. I held my hand to my chest as I attempted to even out my breathing. It was merely a dream... a very realistic one, at that.

But how long would that prophesy remain just a figment of my imagination?

"Excuse me, miss. Is everything alright?" The flight attendant asked worriedly.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I waved at her dismissively.

"We should arrive at your destination in two hours. Would you care for a complementary dish from our airline staff?"

"Sure!"

I scanned over the menu that had been neatly placed on my lap as the woman patiently awaited my selection. I decided to go with a hamburger, a medium onion ring, and a side of Caesar salad. I didn't know how they'd be able to make it mid-air, but I didn't care.