Knock Knock

Chapter 4/// Knock Knock

Thinking that it was the person from the alleyway, I grabbed my T.V. remote before cracking the door open slightly.

I peeked out to see a very startled man in casual clothing.

"I uh..." he stuttered, "I came to give you your mail. I'm not the mail man or anything, it's just that some of your mail got sent to my mailbox."

"Oh," I said relieved.

"Might I ask why you decided to bring your remote to the door?"

I was still holding the controller above my head, as if it were a weapon. I dropped my hands to my sides replying with a simple shrug. I didn't want to tell him that I thought he was a creepy stalker person.

"Well, here's your mail. Let me know if you need anything, I live three doors down."

You can provide anything, huh. How about a JOB?! I thought.

I thanked him before waving him away. He's overly friendly. Most definitely not the type of person that I like to deal with.

I looked through the letters that I had just gotten. All of them were bills except one. As if I needed any more reminders of how poor I am at the moment. I opened the letter that wasn't labeled. It read:

Dear Ms. Melody Markham,

We noticed that we haven't received our payment for your residence in a while. This is the last notice that you will receive before you get evicted from your home. (more like roach nest) The total amount due is $710.00. Please send at least half of this amount within the next 30 days.

Sincerely,
Shady Hill Management

This was ridiculous! Not the part about the roaches, but the part about my rent. Why disguise a bill as a formal letter?

I'm already in enough trouble with no food, and no job. How was I expected to live without a home?

I had held them off for this long, so why couldn't they just wait a little longer? It's not like it's the end of the world... well, not for them anyways.

I really hated to do this, but I had to take action. I changed from my old work uniform into decent loungewear, and walked three doors down.

Where was my family when I really needed them?

Oh, that's right. In their hell-hole of a mansion.