Nobody

Sergeant McDonald returned. I met him at the station door and immediately jumped into the questions.

"Sir, when you were here earlier, you told us you worked a case similar to this one when you were Sergeant, correct?" I asked.

"Look at you, calling me 'sir' instead of 'copper'." he teased. I chuckled. "But, to answer your question, yes. I had just been promoted to sergeant when we worked this case."

"Okay. When you left, I remembered that when you arrested me, you told me I stole because I wanted to be something I wasn't. That got me to thinking, maybe our UnSub is killing celebrities, or people who are well known because he or she want to be well known."

"That would make sense. The original killer's name was Tony Hathaway. He was killing because he was sick of being considered a nobody. He wanted to be famous like the people he killed."

"Great, that was my next question. You see, I believe that maybe your killer, Tony, had siblings and something might've triggered them to kill like their brother. Maybe to become well known or to get him well known."

"Melanie Hotchner, you are one smart cookie."

I beamed in pride and said, "Actually, it's Melanie Reid now. But thank you, sir. Give me a minute, I'm gonna call our techie."

Sergeant McDonald laughed as I turned and called Penelope. It rang three times before her cheery as always voice answered.

"Speak and be heard my beauties."

"Hey babe. It's your Girl Genius. Listen, the old sergeant who worked on a case like this one before is here with me now. He said that the killer was a Tony Hathaway. Can you look into his past and see if he has any siblings, please?"

"Anything for you, Doll Face." she said. There was the sound of typing. "Uh, he had a brother named Jonathan and boy was Jonathan ever obsessed with his brother."

"Obsessed how?" I asked.

"He writes articles for the news paper about how his brother should be known and being a nobody in this world will never get you anywhere in life. He believes his brother was right to kill those celebrities because they were no different then anyone else."

"Okay. Great. Thanks, Big, Blond and Beautiful. I'll call you if I need anything else."

"You're welcome my darling. And that big is just baby fat."

"You are two months pregnant. Take it from me, it doesn't take that fast to get baby fat." I said and hung up. I turned to Sergeant McDonald and spoke. "Do you know of a Jonathan Hathaway?"

"Little Jonny? Yeah! He used to bring the paper here when he was little. He stopped when Tony was killed." he replied.

"Do you know where we could find him?"

"He lives in the old house. Never moved. Need an address?"

"Please. I'll get the team."

We got in the SUVs and raced to the Hathaway house. Uncle Aaron had came back to the station, leaving dad home alone. We still had at least 5 days. Jonathan wouldn't act so soon, right?

We pulled up to the house and got out. Our guns were drawn as we approached the door. Uncle Aaron told Sara, Spencer and I to go around the back and enter that way.

I felt so badass kicking the door in once again. The kitchen was in the back. There was a pantry and stairs that led to a basement. I took the basement, alone.

It was a man cave if anything. TV, a huge couch, a mini fridge, a gaming console, games, movies, a laptop, it was messy and no signs of Jonathan.

I did, however, find something that read "Warning: Poisonous" on the label. This must be how he's killing them.

I felt a sharp pain on the back of my head as I feel to the floor. I hit my head, hard, and I became dizzy. I held my head in pain, unsure of what hit me.

"Stupid FBI agent." someone muttered. "Why do you have to poke your nose in someone else's business? Why can't you just let me do what I have to do?!"

I couldn't speak. My words were lost. I rolled onto my back to look at Jonathan. He held a block of wood in his hand. He dropped it and quickly grabbed my gun.

"D-don-" I tried to speak, but my head hurt too much. I felt to make sure there was no blood.

Jonathan pointed my own gun at me.

"We are all but nobodies in this world. Those 'famous' people out there only get recognition because they're pretty. My brother should've became famous. He should've become well known!"

"Mel!" Spencer called from upstairs.

"All of my nobodyness and all of his somebodyness collided." Jonathan quoted. "Do you know who said that? Huh? Do you?!"

"M-Mark David Chapman." I replied. "H-he killed John Lennon."

"You're smart. That must be your husband."

I looked up in surprise. I had no idea that Jonathan would know who I was.

"That's right. I've done my research. You're Melanie Reid, maiden name Hotchner. Do you know that I'm gonna kill your dad? Too bad you won't be there to say goodbye."

Jonathan raised the gun.

"Freeze!"

I quickly kicked the gun. It flew through the air and landed not too far away. Derek quickly tackled Jonathan to the floor and Spencer raced to me.

"You okay?" he asked. "Did he hurt you?"

"My head hurts a bit, but I think I'll be fine." I replied. "Help me up."

Spencer helped me up. Derek cuffed Jonathan and pulled him off the floor as well. Jonathan struggled against his grip.

"Guess what, you're gonna be known now, Hathaway." Derek sneered. "But not in a good way."

I decided to visit Sergeant McDonald before going home. Believe it or not, after I became good again, I really looked up to him for turning my life around.

"Well, well, well. Melanie Hotchner. I mean, Reid. Didn't think I'd see you here." he said. "Wanna come in?"

"I can't stay long. Planes taking off in an hour and I gotta get there about twenty minutes before so that I can get the couch and can sleep on the way back." I replied. "I just wanted to say thank you for putting me on the right track."

"You were always on that track, Melanie. You just got a bit off course." he said. "So, you're married, huh?"

"Yep. Five years. My husband, Spencer, and I have a little girl. Her names Haley."

"Isn't that sweet." Sergeant McDonald said. "I have a granddaughter. She reminds me a lot of you. She's very sweet."

"Maybe Haley and your granddaughter could have a play date one day when we're back."

"I'd like that."

I smiled and gave Sergeant McDonald a hug.

"Good to see you took the path of law enforcement." he said. "You make a good cop-er-FBI agent."

"Thank you." I said. "I better get going. Thanks for the help. I hope we get to talk again soon."

"Same. I hope to see you around."

I went back to the SUV. Sergeant McDonald stood in the doorway and waved. I waved back and drove off to the airport.