The Video

*Reid's POV*

The phone rang, scaring me slightly. I had been sitting in a hotel room with the TV on, but I wasn't really watching it. I was waiting for a call that would help me find Mel.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Daddy!" came Haley's voice.

"Hi. Hi baby. How are you?" I asked.

"Good. Daddy, why aren't you home?"

"Daddy had to stay in Georgia for work, sweetie. I'll be home soon. I promise. Okay?"

There was a pause. I thought Haley might've gone.

"Are you gonna bring mommy with you?" her tiny voice asked.

I was speechless. I opened my mouth multiple times to try and reply, but it wasn't that easy.

"Spence?" came JJ's voice. "I'm sorry about that. Haley was worried when Morgan and I went to get her and told her we had to take care of her for a while. I told her I'd let her talk to you for a bit. I didn't know she'd say that."

"It's okay." I said. "She's concerned. Like Mel. Speaking of-"

"We haven't heard from Garcia yet. She and Jessica are both going through the records of the police officers at the station. It's a bit of a job, but with two of them doing it, they're getting through it faster." she replied. "If they find anything, they promised they'd call you first."

My phone began to beep, signaling another call.

"That's probably them now. Thanks again JJ." I said.

"No problem. I love Haley and so does Morgan. And Spence, don't you dare leave Georgia until you find my best friend."

I chuckled.

"I won't. I promise. Bye JJ." I hung up the call and answered Garcia's and Jessica's. "Tell me you guys found something."

"Well then, Mr. Eager Beaver. I'll let you know, we looked into the background of every officer and there was nothing fishy. No criminal records, no parking tickets. Each officer is happily married with kids and even grandkids on the way." Garcia said.

I let out a defeated sigh and deflated like a balloon onto the couch.

"Wait." I heard Jessica say. "I have something here. Did you run into an Officer Franco on the case?"

I thought back for a moment.

"I think so." I said. "Yeah. Yeah, we did. He was the officer in charge of the case. I think he was the one who sent us the case file."

"Well, up until last year, Officer Franco didn't exist." Jessica said. "But, I can tell you what we do have on him. His name is James Franco (A/N: hehe :) ). He's been working as an officer at Georgia for the past year or so. He hasn't made any huge purchases in the past year, but the only used credit card purchases in his name are from the last year."

"There's nothing about him other than that." Garcia added. "No police records, no family, no wife, no kids. Just that he's an officer who likes take out."

"Do you have an address?" I asked.

"That's the other thing. There is an address here, but according to records, the address is for an old boarded up house that no one has lived in for over 10 years." Garcia replied.

"What if this is our guy?" I asked. "I mean, it would make perfect sense. If he wanted to get close to Mel and I, being an officer would be the best idea. When we're on a case, officers are really the only ones we'll trust. Usually. Do you think you'll be able to do any other background research on him?"

"Not unless we find his family or friends." Jessica replied. "I'm sorry Reid. We're at a halt for now."

"Don't be. I'll see what I can find here. Thanks for your help."

I hung up before anyone else could say anything. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I was stressing out.

I remembered that Mel said something about Officer Franco. After she had interviewed the Garcias and we were conducting a profile, she told me something. What was it again?

"That guy gives me the creeps."

I should've known from the moment she said it that there was something wrong with him. It takes a lot for Mel to admit someone gives her the creeps. She usually doesn't even say it about UnSubs.

I heard Mel's laptop ding. I looked up to see that there was a video chat request from an unknown person.

Puzzled, I leaned over to accept the call. A dimly lit room popped onto the screen with someone sitting on a chair in the center. The person's head was down and it was too dark to see who it was.

It seemed so familiar. The background, the dim lights, the person in the chair. It reminded me a lot of...of...

"Tobias." I said under my breath.

The figure tied to the chair groaned and lifted their head. That's when I seen who it was. It was Mel.

She looked around the room then straight at the camera. She looked so broken, or at least, beaten. I wished I could hold her in my arms and protect her from any harm. I needed to find her. I needed to find Mel.

"If you guys are watching, I'm okay. At least, for now." she stated. "He's-he's already given me Dilaudid for the first time. My arm kills."

I mentally began to panic. Not Dilaudid. I didn't have the fondest memories with Dilaudid and I didn't want Mel to become addicted the way I was. She was younger than me and with everything she's been through, there is a big chance her outcome with Dilaudid would end a lot worst than mine.

"He says he's going to keep me for 2 days, the same way Tobias did with Reiders, then he's going to kill me the way Tobias was killed." Mel continued. "I'm guessing I've been here for about 12 hours from the way I feel. You guys still have 36 hours. I'll try my best not to let him win, but I honestly don't know how long I'll be able to hold out."

Tears stung my eyes. I quickly wiped them away. Hearing Mel admit she might not be able to hold out for long was like a stab through the heart. She was so strong, but now she was admitting defeat.

"I'm strong. I-I can hold out." I heard her whisper. "Reiders, if you're there, none of this is your fault. Don't be too concerned about me. Watch over Haley. I realize I'm all the way in Georgia right now, but he might be able to get her some how. He might have insiders. Make sure Haley is okay. I'll be fine."

I smiled. There she is. Same old Mel, concerned about everyone else's safety more than her own.

"I love you so much. I love all you guys. The whole team. If this should end bad, I just want you guys to know you're the greatest family I've ever had." she finished.

She hung her head. I closed the laptop. Not all the way. Just enough that I couldn't see my poor wife being tortured this way.

I quickly took my phone out of my pocket with shaky hands and dialed Garcia and Jessica again.

"What's the word hummingbird?" came Jessica's voice.

"Good, but not Garcia material yet." Garcia added.

"Guys, I-I need you to do something." I said, my voice shaking.

"Reid? Are you okay? Have you been crying?" Jessica asked.

"Is it Mel?" Garcia asked.

"I need you guys to find everything you can on Tobias Hankel's family." I said, ignoring their questions. "His parents, uncles, siblings. Anything. This all has to do with Tobias Hankel."

********************

"Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil." - Aristotle