Chapter 7: New Fear Of The Deep

Everyone sat in the room in silence.  Jesse and Clarissa had filled in everyone on what happened between himself and Origin.  No one had said anything.  Even as Jesse looked around now, it didn’t look like anyone had any bright ideas.  Honestly, he was getting tired of silences.

“So what are we doing?” asked Seaver.

“We can’t go forward with anything until Jesse gets training on controlling his powers and his anger,” responded Clarissa.

“Who can teach him something like that?”

“What about the other dragons?”

“The odds that they are in the city are small, and even if they were in the city, they must have a reason for not moving or doing anything.  Origin told me that they were busy with other things.  So I doubt they would rush to help me,” said Jesse.

Again everyone in the room got quiet and collectively looked at the ground.  Their options were thin and only looking thinner.

“We can’t wait around forever.  Everyday Azrael gets . . .” started Jesse.

“. . . Azrael hasn’t made a harmful move towards the people of this city in two years.  If he had a move to make, he would have by now,” interrupted Clarissa.

“What’s to say tomorrow won’t be the day he makes his move?” asked Rose.

“Look, we aren’t going to push Jesse into rushing this,” snapped Rydar, who had been quiet this whole time.  Softly she looked up at Jesse and said, “Baby, you are the only hope we have to kill that man and save these people.  However we can’t rush this and risk losing you.  We need to take time to get you trained and rested so we have the best chance of winning this.  I won’t lose you because someone, anyone, decides that we need to move before we are one hundred percent sure that you will it out alive.”

Jesse stared at her and sighed.  He knew she was right, but the idea of waiting was more than he could handle.

“I need to go for a walk.”

He walked over to the elevator and stepped inside.

“Ground floor.”

Quietly the doors closed and left Jesse alone.

“That’s not a good idea either.”

Jesse rolled his eyes as he heard Origin behind him.

”So you can teleport around the building, that explains a lot.”

”It‘s a gift.”

“So why is this a bad idea?”

”If you don‘t remember, Azrael is looking for you.”

”Don‘t think I know how to keep my head down?”

“Yes, but you are a dragon.  You still carry the traits.  Like your blank left eye, or the bone fragments running across the top of it.  Or maybe even the scars around your left eye.  Trust me, you aren’t exactly hidden.”

Another truth that Jesse didn’t want to admit.  He stuck out like a giant dragon thumb.  

“Did you have a plan?”

“Here.”

Origin made a white sweater appear out of no where and threw it to Jesse.

“That should cover you until you can buy more clothes.”

“But I don’t . . “

He was cut off by Origin tossing him a big clip filled with money.

“You just have an answer for everything don’t you.”