Chapter 9: The New Ocean

The streets were still dark and abandoned.  There were no guards, no citizens, no one at all.  It was like a ghost town around him.  Jesse carefully and casually  walked through the streets, his eyes locked on the prison.  His body was surging with a new power, a kind of dominant bravado.  He felt like nothing could touch him, like he was invincible.   At the outside fence of the prison, Jesse paused for a second.  The building looked at lot less scary than he remembered.  He ripped the front fence out and tossed it to the side.  Alarms turned on and filled the once silent sky.  Spot lights turned on and swam around the ground, before finally locking onto Jesse.  Guards swarmed out of the prison and took off at him.  Before they could reach him however, Beasts appeared out of the darkness and attacked them; clearing his path.

Jesse walked through the front door looked around.  He looked at the directory on the wall.

“There you are,” said Jesse finding the room he was looking for.  He walked over and took off up the stairs.  Clearing level after level Jesse was surprised to to find a lack of guards.  But then he remembered the Beasts, they must have gotten into the building.  He could get used to being a king.

He found the floor he wanted and walked around until he found the main control room.  Inside was a large desk with one man sitting behind it.  He looked like he was about to pee himself at the sight of Jesse.

“How many prisoners are here?” asked Jesse.

“One hundred.” answered the man.

“How many are murderers or rapists?”

“None.  Azrael uses this prison for enemies of state.  Those that oppose his wishes and speak out against him.”

“So these people are here for having opinions?”

The man nodded slowly, his eyes filled with fear.

“Let them out.  All of them!”

Besides shaking from fear, the man didn’t move.

“NOW!” shouted Jesse.

The man moved forward and started typing on his computer.  A loud buzzer went off and the man leaned back.

“Get out and make sure everyone else does too.”

The man got up to run but Jesse grabbed him.

“How do I get to the roof?”

“There’s an elevator behind that door,” said the man pointing behind Jesse.

He let the man go and waited until he was gone.  Then he turned around and walked to door.  He opened it and walked over to the elevator.  He pushed the button and waited patiently.  A few minutes later, the doors opened and he stepped inside.  Patiently he waited as the doors closed and the elevator started to rise.  He bobbed his head with the elevator music and tried to calm his breathing.  What came next was the fun part.

The doors opened and reveal the roof of the prison.  The sun was rising just over the horizon and gave the city a beautiful glow.  He waked out of the door and over to the edge of the roof.  A powerful gust of wind blew past him.  He took in a deep breath and then let out a loud roar.  As he roared he heard others join him from outside.  The Beasts had surrounded the city, and were greeting their new king.  Jesse’s body started to glow blue and silver as he continued.

“How cute?  You have tamed the beasts.  Jak’s gonna be pissed.”

Jesse didn’t have to turn around to know that it was Azrael.  The man still reeked of death and blood.

“So you are the King of the Beasts now.  How does it feel?”

Jesse didn’t answer, he just stayed facing the city.