Chapter 10: The Kingdom

The next few hours were filled with Jesse standing around as Paige and Ashley tried on various outfits.  Jesse walked around the store, looking at random shirts her thought would look good on Ashley.

“You think that’ll be cute?” she asked, catching up to him.

“Well the dark color will look good with your skin, and it’ll bring out your eyes.”

She took the shirt from him and held it against herself.

“How do you know so much about this stuff?”

“It was something my brother Chris taught me.  He was always good at picking out outfits for my mom.”

“Well it’s a good skill to have.”

Ashley winked at him and strolled off to the changing room.  Jesse watched her go, then continued browsing around the store.

When they finally finished looking around, they walked through the yard to another shop, this one was all men’s clothes.  Ashley and Paige piled clothes onto Jesse’s arms and forced him into the changing room.  He must have changed through hundreds of different outfits before they stopped throwing clothes at him.  Nothing they gave him, really matched his style.  He liked his sleeveless shirts and baggy pants.

“I’m sorry karlek, but that’s not the fashion of this time.  You have to make the best of what we can give you, besides you’ll draw less attention for Azrael but looking like one of the rich, he never bothers them,” said Ashley, handing the large pile of clothes to a store worker.

“Fine,” responded Jesse.  He walked around and picked out some of the best looking long sleeve shirts, and skinny jeans that still gave him room to move.

“Here,” said Ashley holding up a gray beanie.  She gently put it on his head and slid it back, “Perfect.”

Jesse looked at himself in the mirror.  He looked good with the beanie, and it covered some of his horns.  His left eye though, was still pretty obvious.  Just then, he noticed a pair of blacked out goggles on the rack behind him.  He picked them up and put them on.  They were perfect.  He slid them onto his forehead and smiled at Ashley.

“It’s missing something though,” she said.

“What?” asked Jesse.

Ashley smiled and held up a necklace.  It was silver chain, with a small staff of Hermes hanging off of it.  She put it on him and kissed his cheek.  Jesse held it up and looked it over.

“The Staff of Hermes?”

“It’s a family necklace, felt right to have you wear it,” she said, her face red.

“Thank you baby.  I love it,” he kissed her cheek and then went and changed into his new clothes.  Looking at himself in the mirror, he actually didn’t look too bad.  Not his usual fashion, but it would do for now.  When he walked back out, Paige was talking to Ashley, then she took off.

“Where’s she going?”

“Said she had to open her shop for a special customer.  She’ll meet up with us later,” responded Ashley.

“Okay then.”

They bought a backpack to put the clothes in, then continued through the city in silence.  Neither really sure what the next conversation should be.  Ashley wanted to ask Jesse about Rydar, but she wouldn’t want to cross that line.  Jesse had too many thoughts on his mind to try to form a question.  It was like his world was resetting again and he had no idea where he was going to land.

“So tell me more about his kingdom of yours,” said Jesse finally.

“Of ours,” corrected Ashley.