Chapter 15: Dark Dragon In The Light

Jesse walked back to the cave alone, his body weary.  Lust left him so she could check in and keep up her cover.  He was greatful for her being there to help him, but he needed to make sure that she was going to be safe.  The time they spent together had to be short and hidden.  If Azrael were to find out about their union, their bond . . . the thought of the things that monster would do made Jesse shutter.  He tried to force it from his mind as he approached Nicholas.

“Where’s Apollyon?” asked Jesse.

“He’s waiting for you by the tree,” answered his twin.

They starred at each other, a tension growing between them.  The look in Nicholas’ eyes was one Jesse knew all to well.

“You have a question.”

“Are you sure you can trust her?  She was made by Azrael for the soul purpose of killing you.”

“We’re bonded, she wouldn’t betray me.”

“I’m sure you thought the same thing about Rydar.”

The words cut like a knife.  Digging into the wound that had no yet healed in Jesse’s heart.

“Rydar had to do what she had to do.”

“What about your mother?  Or Jessica? Or May?”

“What’s your point?!” shouted Jesse angrily.

“You’re heart tells you to trust these women, and they’ve all proven your heart wrong.  Each and every one of them hurt you and took parts of your heart away.”

“But it’s still beating.”

“Thanks to yet another woman.  How much more do you think your heart can take?  Are you willing to continue giving pieces away?  What happens when it doesn’t start beating again?  As a dragon your heart is your greatest source of strength and control.  If you lose that then . . .”

“Then what?” snapped Jesse, anger filling every word.

“Then you become the same monster you’re fighting to destroy.  You will become Azrael.”

“I will never be like that man.  My heart is strong and will always find it’s beat.  No one can take that away from me.”

“No one but yourself.”

“I am my own worst enemy, but I am also my own savior.  I will give my heart, my life, my body, everything I am to save the people of this world.  That includes Jessica, May, my mother, and even Rydar.  They deserve a world where they can live on to find the happiness that I could not provide for them.”

Nicholas rolled his eyes and chuckled.  He ran his hand through his hair, when he looked at Jesse again, his eyes were different.

“You are every bit as brash and stupid as Azrael.”

That was the last straw.  Jesse snapped and swung a raging fist.  Nicholas swiftly moved to the side and connected with a punch of his own.  However Jesse barely felt it as he clubbed him on the back and kicked him to the side.  Nicholas rolled back to his feet as Jesse came down and rammed him into the ground.  Jesse grabbed him by his collar and slammed their heads together.  His teeth gritted, he did it again, and again.  Blood was pouring from their foreheads when Nicholas reached up and wrapped a hand around Jesse throat.  He pushed his twin up then spun and tossed him to the ground.  Flipping through the air, he came down and stomped his feet into Jesse’s stomach.  As he tried to jump he realized that his feet were caught.  He was slammed to the ground quickly and ferociously.  Jesse turned him around and wrapped one hand around his throat and raised the other.