Chapter 11: The Once and Never King

Time slowed down after that night.  Jesse found himself finally comfortable and happy.  His days were spent mostly with Ashley.  Walking around the kingdom, learning the history, the people, the customs and traditions.  Most of the beasts didn’t like Jesse and the more brash males took every chance they could to challenge him for his title.  Even though Ashley contested with him, Jesse accepted every challenge.  He had to prove his worth some how, and until he could figure out how to rebuild the buildings, this was his only option.  Soon though, they accepted him not just as their king, but also as their friend.  He would often join Ashley in her duties of tending to the sick and injured.  They also took the time to talk to the older Beasts and play with the young ones.  Despite their species, these Beasts weren’t too far off from humans.  They had families, friends, jobs, responsibilities.  It was an easy transition for Jesse to live here with them.

At night after Ashley was asleep, Jesse would sit out on the balcony and stare up at the stars.  His mind would always wander off to Rydar.  He still wasn’t sure what he felt towards her.  Part of him hated her, she had turned her back on him, left him without much of a chance of fixing things, and had done it for another man.  But he couldn’t help but still have feelings for her.  She had been all he’d known for so long and was such a big part of his life.  Even though he was happy with Ashley, he still missed and loved Rydar.  It sickened him to still have feelings for her.

A few months passed and the old man from the forest showed up inside the kingdom.  Immediately he started training and teaching Jesse.  It started with morning runs around the kingdom, followed by hours of meditation and breathing exercises.  As Jesse sat a meditated the old man told Jesse about a few powers that he possessed and instructed him on them.  The first was Aura control and manipulation.  He could use his Aura to form orbs and build it up in parts of his body for use.  His power extended beyond his own Aura and if he focused he could gather the Aura from the plants and things around him to add to his own.  When Jesse showed a grasp of controlling it, he began training with it.  He would got out of the kingdom and practice his Aura strikes, building up Aura in parts of his body and striking various objects and targets with them.  The old man would constantly have to warn Jesse and stop him when he would train to hard.  If he used up all his Aura, he would die.  Which lead to Jesse learning about emotional control and focusing on targets.

The two would spar and to Jesse’s surprise the old man knew a lot of different fighting techniques.  Jeet-kun-do was his primary and the one he taught Jesse.  He also knew drunken boxing and various other martial art forms.  Jesse tried to learn as many as he could and used them to form his own fighting style.  Combined with the use of his Aura, Jesse became a talented and powerful fighter.  He combined in the creation of his Aura orbs and used them for long range attacks.  His body became strong and toned as did his mind.  By the end of the training Jesse considered himself a warrior and worthy to be king.  

******

“The time has come to fullfil your promise to Ashley and this kingdom,” said the old man as Jesse was doing his handstand push ups.  Jesse looked up and lost his balance, falling flat on his back.  He rolled over and dusted himself off.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“It is time to get this kingdom flying again.  Follow me.”

The old man turned and walked away, forcing Jesse and Ashley to follow him.  He lead them out of the castle and deep into the jungle.  They walked for what felt like hours until arriving at the mouth of a cave on the side of a large mountain.  Jesse and Ashley both stopped but the old man continued inside.  The lovers exchanged a nervous glance then slowly walked inside.  To their surprise a green light illuminated above them and followed them as they walked.