Chapter 8: Introducing a New Star

Turning the corner was a large four legged beast, atleast the size of a full sized car.  It’s fur was black and looked like silk.  The beast looked like a Siberian Tiger on steroids, with front large fangs that were a deep, dark blue.  It’s eyes were the same color and lacked pupils.  Blood was dripping off the fangs and covered part of it’s face.

Jesse hid back behind the corner and waited.  This thing was huge and wouldn’t be easy to take down.  However Jesse couldn’t let it keep hunting down innocent people.  He crouched and got in a three point stance.  The seconds passed without anything happening, then the Beast emerged in front of him.  He stayed still and waited until he could see it’s full body.  He took off at ful speed and collided with the side of the Beast.  He pushed it until they both crashed through one of the kiosks.  Quickly he tried to get up but the Beast was already back up and on top of him.  It pinned him to the ground and snapped at him.  Jesse kept his hand on it’s throat and held it just inches from his face.  The Beast swipped its gigantic paw across Jesse’s face and ripped through his flesh.  He screamed in pain and struggled, kicking the Beast’s hind legs out then lifting it with his own.  Lucky for Jesse the Beast used it’s front paws to maintain balance over him.  It snapped at him again, only centimeters from his face.

He had to think quickly as his arms were getting tired and he was still on his own.  A few more terrifying seconds passed before he finally got an idea.  He lifted up his arm and the Beast bit down hard on it.  Luckily the two massive teeth had missed but the other little fangs sank deep into his skin and bones.  He jerked the Beast close and drove the claws on his free hand into the Beast’s neck and stomach.  It poured blood on him and refused to loosen its grip on his arm.  However he was able to roll it over off of him.  Angrily he gripped it’s bottom jar and pulled.

“Let go!” he shouted as he jerked hard.  He pulled on the jaw until it finally opened.  Then, using all the strength he had left, he broke its jaw.  With his good arm now free, he reared back and slammed his fist against the Beasts head.  He felt it’s skull shatter as he followed through and sent it flying down the street, landing in the middle of a large opening.

Covered in blood, Jesse limped over to see if the Beast was dead.  As he approached the center, he realized he wasn’t alone.  Glowing eyes appeared in the alleys and streets around him.  An army of Beasts filled in around him and blocked off his exits.  They had red fangs and kept their distance from him.  As Jesse looked around he heard a loud pop.  He spun around just in time to see the blue-fanged beast lunge at him.  He tried to jump back but didn’t get far enough.  The Beast turned in the air and was able to dig it’s fangs deep into his side.  He screamed in pain and slammed both his fists into the side of it’s head.  Again it refused to et go.  Growing weary Jesse grabbed it around it’s waist and lifted it off the ground.  He spun once and then flung the Beast.  It, with a large chunk of his side still in its mouth, flew only a few feet away.

It landed on on fours as Jesse fell to his knees.  His blood splattered on the ground from the bite.  He looked up and saw the Beast starring at him, amused.  Anger swelled inside Jesse as he locked eyes with the Beast.  He got to his feet and stood up straight, his face no longer showing pain.

The Beast lowered its safe, prepared to pounce.  Jesse mirrored its movements and had to wait again.  Tense few seconds passed between the two before the Beast finally roared and sprang forward, as did Jesse.  He caught the Beast by it’s large front fangs and lifted it onto it’s hind legs.  His entire body was glowing silver and his eyes had turned black with his pupils burning bright silver like stars.  As he struggled against the Beast his aura glowed brighter, until it was bright enough to light up the entire circle; his aura swirling around him.  With another loud roar he flipped the Beast over and ripped out it’s fangs.  Swiftly he flipped them around and plunged them into the chest and head of the Beast.

Silence filed the air, Jesse’s aura faded away.  The Beast did move or show any signs of life.  Jesse pulled out its fangs and looked around at the others.  None of them moved.

“Well?” yelled Jesse like they could understand him.

“They won’t attack.  You just killed their king.”

The voice had come from in front of Jesse, behind the Beasts.  He waited until he saw who it was.  It was a girl, casually walking towards him.  She was just barely shorter than him, and really skinny.  Her hair was blond with the majority of it stuffed inside a barret; her skin was creamy white and beautiful.  She had snake bite piercings and gauged ears.  her attire was a tight fitting pair of jeans, a loose tank top, and a vest that looked like it had been made from the fur of one of the Beasts.

As Jesse looked her up and down he found himself stuck on her eyes.  They were radiant blue and very mesmerizing.  Every time he tried to look away, his eyes were drawn straight back to them.  Suddenly Jesse realized she was smiling.  It was too gorgeous.  Had Jesse not just been in a fight, he would blame his quick pulse on her.  She was absolutely gorgeous, and the way she glowed in the moonlight,, made Jesse seriously consider her an angel.

“Kings are to be feared and respected.  And only to be attacked when at full health, more honor that way,” she said; her voice like silk.

“He attacked me,” argued Jesse.

“Actually your the one who tackled him.  Besides I was referring to you.”

Was she blushing?  She walked around him, her fingers tracing his collar bone.

“What about me?” asked Jesse, trying to keep his voice steady.

“Tradition dictates a ‘Keep what you kill’ policy.  You killed the king, you keep his crown.  My king.”

Jesse just starred at her, dumb founded.  King?

“What?”

“Tobias, that Beast, was our old king.  You killed him, you are our new king.  Or well almost.”

“Almost?”

“The legends say the King of Beasts must climb to the highest point of his jungle and roar.  Letting everyone know there is a new king and he isn’t afraid of being challenged.”

“But this isn’t a jungle.  It’s a city.”

The girl laughed; very adorable.

“I know, but it still applies.  And the highest point is the top of Azrael’s jail.”

She pointed behind her at the hell that Jesse lived in for five long years.  His blood ran cold.  Come to think of it, his entire body was.  Suddenly he remember the bite and looked down.  The girl already had her hand on it.  Jesse looked up to ask, but before he could, she kissed him.  Her hand started glowing and Jesse felt his wound close.

The girl pulled back and stepped away.  Jesse looked down, and it looked like the bite was never there.  Although there was now a strange marking with writing, in it’s place.  As Jesse studied it, the girl took the fangs from him.

“The fangs of a king.  I’ll turn them into blades for you.  Shouldn’t take more than a few days.  See you then.”

The girl turned and started walking away, the beasts following suit.

“Wait, who are you?” yelled Jesse.

“Your queen, Ashley Star.”

With that the girl turned and left.  Jesse was alone, just starring at her.  His queen, Ashley Star.