2 (The Coffee Table)

"People make plans and God laughs."

"You know I haven't put anything like this together since JJ was pregnant with Henry." Hotch sticks the screwdriver in his pocket.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." Emily watches him from the floor. "I really did try to do it myself."

Hotch flips a toothpick around his mouth," yeah I can see that." He flips the table top over," you wore down two of the screw for the legs."

She leans against the couch and watchs him work. "I really am sorry for bothering you. Everyone else is doing stuff. Morgan's dating and JJ's got Will. Dave's being Dave off in his stupid little cabin. Even Reid's doing stuff."

Hotch stops working to pear at her from over the top his glasses, glasses she didn't even know he needed," I could be doing other things, you know? Believe it or not I do have a life." Not really. Outside of Jack he's really got no one. Which means only Jack wants to do things with him.

Emily looks at him from over her knees. "I'm sorry, Hotch. It's just you're the only person that can help."

Hotch nods and pushes his glasses up on his nose, like an adorable nerd (not that Aaron Hotchner is adorable because that's not the right word to describe him), and finishes the table up.

"You just might want to be careful when you open the top," Hotch points to the lid and opens it. "Uh, and maybe that leg." He points to the left rear leg," you really wore out those screws."

"Thank you, sir." She says happily running her hand over the now fully constructed coffee table.

"I just built you a coffee table," Hotch takes his glasses off and rubs his nose. "I think you can call me Aaron."

"Okay.. Aaron." She smiles nervously and taps her fingers against her beer. "Would you like a beer now?"

"Yeah, sure." What could one beer hurt?

~Three Beers Later~

"No actually, Jack loves the Harry Potter books." Hotch sips his beer thoughtfully.

Emily looks at him awestruck," Jack's only in third grade!"

Hotch shrugs," I don't know, he just really likes reading."

Emily leans back on the couch and sips her beer. They seat in content silence. Happy.

"You're a good dad, you know?" Because sometimes from the way he talks he may not know.

"Thank you." His voice sounds genuine.

She puts her beer down and pulls her knees to her chest.

"Prentiss?"

"Yeah?"

"I was wrong. You're a great agent. You deserve to be here." He looks at her and Rossi's words play on a loop. If you don't fight for her then you don't get her. "You're a great agent, I was just... It was just bad timing and I was being an ass."

She hides a giggle behind her hand," I'm sorry, I giggle when I drink."

He smiles to, flashing dimples that she didn't know she was even attracted to until then," no, no it's fine."

"You were an ass though," she says thinking about all the times she wanted to punch him in his perfect face for just being a plan ass. It was certainly worth it, though.

"I was."

"I forgive you, though. You're not as bad now." She taunts and he can see the flames of mischief dancing in her iron brown eyes.

"Thank you. I'm glad you've forgiven me." He smiles back.

"Well you're welcome, Aaron."